Best way to copy from OS5 to OS3

I have a PR4100 and an EX4. The PR4100 is an OS5 and the EX4 OS3. Prior to upgrading the PR4100 I was able to use the Remote Copy to copy between the two NAS’s, but is no longer compatible. Because of that, I started using FreeFileSync to copy between the two NAS’s, but that is no longer an option for me.

Does anyone know of any other tool to use? I’d prefer to copy directly between the NAS’s, so if there is something else that I can use please let me know.

Thanks

I presume the two NAS units are on the same network?

Just curious (I am not familiar with remote copy); why does remote copy no longer work? I would think if it works on OS/3, it would be able to be initiated from the EX4.

FreeFileSync would be my weapon of choice - - - but that would require a PC to stay running throughout the transfer. Not the most elegant way, since you are using the PC’s I/O to do the copy.

I know you can do this directly using SSH and linux commants. This will nominally require a terminal window to stay open; but you are using the NAS’s I/O exclusively for the transfer. I think there is something like a “nohup” parameter you can specify when executing the Linux commands that will allow the commands to continue running after the terminal window is closed.

I would look into WinSCP, which uses a graphical interface and see if you can do the “nohup” magic with this tool.

Sorry for the slightly garbled answer: I have not done this in a while. (Brand S* NAS units provide this functionality with their software; and the last time I did a mass copy with a WD NAS; I used the Brand S* NAS)

OS5 Remote Copy is not compatible with OS3. That was one of the issues when I upgraded to OS5. The upgrade broke a lot of items and remote copy was one of them. I’m going to assume that remote copy used rsync and I know that if the versions are not similar, rsync will not work. So, I’m guessing that is why it broke.

The other solutions that you mentioned will not work for me. I know that there are persons who have written third party apps to replace some of apps that broke when WD updated the OS. I was just hoping that someone here might know of something.

Thanks

Why not upgrade EX4 to OS5?.
Other option would be to install Syncthing apps on both NASes and sync.

. . . .sounds like there are other issues at work here.

Is there a reason you don’t want to use SSH (or other direct Linux commands?)
Is there a reason that freefilesync no longer works?

The other two options are somewhat nuclear.

• Upgrade to a NAS running DSM (i.e. S*nology; I have transferred data from an OS/3 machine to a DSM machine the way you want)
  • Get the two existing machines to the same O/S (Upgrade one or downgrade the other) (It is possible to downgrade OS/5 to OS/3 - - → it involves deleting the O/S via linux and using the recovery firmware to restore the O/S of your choice)