Best Sync App?

Good Day!

I’m looking for a great backup application: I’m more interested in the app running in sync mode than backup mode. That is, it would mirror the files and folders in my computer exactly the same way on my MBL. If I added a new file to a folder, it would copy that file over. If I deleted a file, it would do the same on the MBL. If I edited a file, it would sync the new file over. I would also like it to run automatically.

The closes app I found is SyncBack and while it relies on a schedule (which I can deal with), would prefer if it had automicatic monitoring.

I also use my laptop both at home and on the go. As such, I would like the software to be able to know that I am at home and do the backup locally and when I am outside, would the the backup through the internet. When I was using Pogoplug, the software smart enough to do just that.

I have not tried WD SmartWare because I read somewhere on this forum that the backup files requires the app to be able to see them (correct me if I am wrong on this). I would like to mirror my computer to the MBL so that I can access it anywhere.

Any suggestions?

SmartWare will not sync, only backup.  I think that instead of a backup software, you may look  for a synchronization software.  In my personal opinion I prefer backup instead of sync; when you sync if you accidentally delete a file if will be harder to get it back.

2 Likes

Good point. Will change the topic to reflect it.

I do do backups as well, though not as frequently as syncing. 

Hi,

I have been using Goodsync with my MBL. I have been pretty happy with it. I used the trial first, liked it and paid $30 for the full version.

http://www.goodsync.com/

Tethra

I’ve been using PureSync, which automatically mirrors from one device to another. It’s working with a Network device to a computer, which is a rarity! I’ve tried a number of other programs but this one seems to do actual syncing instead of scheduled backups. It’s free, which is another plus.

Hi Laura,

I have tried installing PureSync, but I couldn’t get it to work with a Network Device, how did you do it? I only see my local pc directories, so I could map a network drive but then every time I reboot it disappears.

It also works with FTP, which is very nice, but only the ‘pro’ version 

My network devices re-map on startup. You can do it with a .bat file in your startup folder:

net use x: \ipaddress\folder password /user:username
net use y: \ipaddress\folder password /user:username
net use z: \ipaddress\folder password /user:username

save it as a .txt, then change the extension from .txt to .bat and move it to your startup folder.

Is there a way to set it up such that it would map a network drive via a local IP address and if that fails, to do it via an external IP address?

I’ve never attempted to apply if-then-else statements to a Batch script. You can find out more about writing scripts here:

http://www.infionline.net/~wtnewton/batch/batchfaq.html