Best Practice For Daily BU of Database

I run a daily backup of a local database. It is approximately a 2.5GB ZIP file.

From what I’m reading, it appears that the best practice would be for me to maintain a direct connection via Ethernet to the drive so it can be written to directly.

However, there is only one Ethernet connection on the back of the MyCloud, which leads me to believe there isn’t an easy answer to this other than put it in the MyCloud folder on my C Drive then it will synchronize to the MyCloud. 2.5GB is pretty time consuming, though.

Is this a good summary of the capabilities, or is there more I haven’t considered.

Regards,

The MyCloud is a NAS; a network attached storage device. It can only be accessed via the ethernet network port. Connect it to a network. Connect any accessing devices to the same network.

So, you will need a router to provide a local network. Ideally, this will have gigabit ethernet ports. Connect your MyCloud to this router. Connect your accessing devices to this router.

If your router only has fast ethernet (100Mbps), buy a cheap gigabit ethernet switch, and connect it to your router. Connect your MyCloud and any accessing devices that have gigabit ethernet ports to the switch.

Once you have done this, you can map any Share as a network drive on your PC, and thus access the share just like you would access any local or USB HDD connected directly to your PC.

Thank you for the help; however, I can only see the public section of My Cloud. I want to place the daily backup of the database into my private section. I can’t even get to it so I can provide credentials.

John

Most likely the ‘Windows does not support mixed credentials for network drives’ problem; read the error message it gives you carefully. This is a Windows limitation.

Unmap the Public drive, then re-map, this time forcing it to connect with different credentials. Give it the credentials of your mycloud. Then map any Private shares in the same way.

If you can’t unmap the Public share, you may have to use Windows Credentials Manager to delete the credentials for Public.

1 Like

Have you tried SmartWare?

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=15136