BBC iPLayer - WD to little to late

Still no BBC iPlayer, how difficult can this be to add?

WD, give the UK some content we can use seeing that we get charged more for your equipment here in the UK & end up the last to get the full use of it.

Nearly all other Media players have this content and I am now looking for another suitable player from a manufacturer that listens to is customers. ( Loads of comments & votes to get  this added over the last year )

I’ve always used WD equipment  but no longer. ( Wdtv Mini - Wdtv Live - 4 x 1tb ext hd - 2 x 1tb hd in my server )

1 Customer ( my gear ) = approx £600.

Loosing customers who spend decent money with you, WD you should be a little more worried.

Sorry for the rant ( probably in the wrong section )

Garp

As a UK user I second this. Lets get the bugs fixed and the iplayer.

Fully agree; This feedback also applies to other areas of the Globe. It seems logical that WD would help their worldwide sales (anfd customer satisfaction) by negotiating TV content in countries beyond the USA, including Europe (eg. DW TV from Germany), BBC UK, SBS and ABC Australia, and TVNZ New Zealand and other Asian countries (NHK Japan, Arirang Korea, CTV China erc)?!  Their is plenty of free open global content that would be great viewing over ethernet!

I agree,  have had several online discusions with WD support and they say BBC iPlayer files in Windows media player should work as .wmv files but they do not !!  All they come up with is that I should try transcoding.  I didn’t buy WDTV Live Media player then to have to faff around everytime to view a download

Update:

I sent the exact copy of my post to WD & this is how they replied:

Our apologies for the inconvenience. However there has never been plans or announcements made referring that the BBC iPlayer will be supported. We therefore cannot support any query referring to it.

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.

I followed up by replying:

As far as your reply " However there has never been plans or announcements made referring that the BBC iPlayer will be supported. We therefore cannot support any query referring to it."

Just because you have never made any plans or announcements. Just let us in the UK who are interested in this service now IF you would look into it for us or you are NOT ever going to support it and make it official

When I bought the wdtv live it never had flingo or deezer but this didn’t stop you making it available!

The point I am making is that if you get a great deal of customers from the UK asking if you are going to add BBC iPlayer ( check your own community link from your web site & Votes for this to be added) and it is listed as  " in consideration " ( or words to that effect). Why can’t anyone at WD listen to there customers and at least let people interested in getting this service give them a reason why you are not going to give it to us or can’t do it?

I am very disappointed with WD in general and I will not be singing your praises or recommending your equipment ever again like I have done many times in the past.

I might be one customer but I am involved with many tech forums and the like so I have a loud voice and will be sharing my views.

Who’s Loss

Not Mine

I sent this reply about two weeks ago and as yet I have not received a reply? Obviously the world doe’s not exist outside the USA

Just thought I would post this if its any use to anyone.

Garp

P.S.  All my WD gear is going to that online auction site in the next week or so but I wouldn’t recommend buying it as better equipment exists in the real world

I forgot to post a link to the votes for Iplayer that I mention which was originally posted on the ideas section.

Here it is if you can’t find the original link.

http://wdtv.uservoice.com/pages/17442-general/suggestions/403039-bbc-iplayer-support-for-wdtv-live?ref=title

Garp

You’re asking a low-level support staff reading from a script to answer queries way outside what he’s authorised to respond to.

Your reply will likely not be getting a response because of the later threats regarding bad-mouthing them online.

You’ve made it clear that they’ve lost you as a customer; why should they respond…?

growerPaul wrote:

I agree,  have had several online discusions with WD support and they say BBC iPlayer files in Windows media player should work as .wmv files but they do not !!  All they come up with is that I should try transcoding.  I didn’t buy WDTV Live Media player then to have to faff around everytime to view a download

The BBC iPlayer .wmv files you downloaded will be DRM protected.

BBC / Microsoft have spent a pound or two to make sure you can’t do what you are trying, the files will only play on your WMPlayer not even VLC or any other player you have installed on your computer will be able to play them.

“You’re asking a low-level support staff reading from a script to answer queries way outside what he’s authorized to respond to”

Then they should of passed it to someone at a higher level who could respond to it

“You’ve made it clear that they’ve lost you as a customer; why should they respond…?”

If I rang them I would expect the support staff to bend  over backwards to address my concerns & still be courteous Regardless what the customers problems ( that’s what there being paid for isn’t it ). If I ignored any of my customers problems whether right or wrong I would not be in business for long. The trouble with emails there is no personal contact and its easier to blank.

“Your reply will likely not be getting a response because of the later threats regarding bad-mouthing them online”

I think there a big enough Company that if they wanted to reply they would, after all the praises & recommendations over the years I have given about WD products I feel entitled to say what I think and anyway the reason for all this is not for me but to let anyone else interested to read about a  customers experience & make there own mind up.

Enough said

Garp

I do agree with you that BBC iplayer would be brill !!!, and if it made it I’ll be happy.

but your trying to force extra’s which were not there when you brought the player.

also I think it’s time you took a chill-out pill :smiley: 

"I do agree with you that BBC iplayer would be brill !!!, and if it made it I’ll be happy.

but your trying to force extras which were not there when you brought the player."

I knew Iplayer was not part of the firmware but after reading all the posts for people wanting it and WD adding all sorts of other media ( most of it no use to the world outside the states ) I thought I would do my bit. You never know they might listen to there customers eventually!

"also I think it’s time you took a chill-out pill " :smiley:

No worries just took it!

Has any body else noticed that on the current firmware if you go to the dashboard iplayer is listed?

It’s not in the services section and if you select it nothing happens but it’s listed.  Does that mean it’s on it’s way?

This is on the Live Hub.

Well, if they designed the ICON, it’s a decent bet that they’re planning SOMETHING.   

But one can never bank on it… (There’s other stuff hidden away in the code package since Day 1 that’s never appeared, but you never know…)

**bleep** straight WD’s too late. I’ve just pre-booked the Xtreamer Prodigy. Apparently, it just . . . . works ! I’ll demote the WD TV Live to the guest room

AvonBarksdale wrote:

**bleep** straight WD’s too late. I’ve just pre-booked the Xtreamer Prodigy. Apparently, it just . . . . works ! I’ll demote the WD TV Live to the guest room

That’s weird, I can’t find any reviews for it and they didn’t even show it off at CeBIT (wasn’t plugged in)… can you link to the reviews / news site that reports how well it works?