Backup you backup... best practices?

Hello
Recently I had an issue with my cloud drive 6TB FW 4.x. Well it was more of my goof up and not so much by the drive, but I almost lost my data. Though with some help from @Bennor I was able to recover all of my data… phew that was a relief.

Now it got me thinking, what would be the best (economical) way of replicating the backup that my cloud drive has? Ideally 6 TB but I will be happy with 3 TB too.

One option is connecting another My Cloud drive in the network and run an application to replicate the data. Other option I guess would be USB hard disk connected to the Cloud…

I want to know form dear friends as to what options are being implemented by you all… best practices.

Thanks

Parambir

@Parambir_Singh Everything that’s on my computers is backed up on my two WD My Clouds. I have a first and a second generation. I also have important documents, pictures etc. backed up on SDHC cards and memory sticks.

I believe in having many backups. Backup Definition

The single bay/single drive My Cloud Dashboard includes a feature called SafePoint (v4.x firmware) or Backup (v2.x firmware) that one can use to backup a My Cloud to a USB hard drive attached to the My Cloud’s USB port.

Other methods of backing up a My Cloud include using Rsync to copy the files one specifies to another location on the local network. One can use the forum search feature (magnifying glass icon upper right) to find past discussions on using Rsync to copy files from the My Cloud (using SSH) to another location. One can use third party software to copy files from the My Cloud to another location.

For example I use Free File Sync (https://freefilesync.org/) to copy files from the My Cloud to a USB hard drive attached to a computer.

1 Like