Backing up two computers

I looked on the forum and can’t really grasp the info.

I have two comps. One PC one laptop

I back up my PC to my passport easy enough

I then want to back up my Laptop. When I do that I load the passport smart ware to my Laptop it then looks like it backs up my files.

How do I distinguish my PC backup and my lap top backup.

Is there some sort of partition I’m missing or if I do need to back up my laptop will it know what files to pick

Another question Can I back up my OS to my passport if I have enough room…

Thanks Peter

Hi, I have a similar situation. Old desktop, New desktop. If you want to inspect what’s been backup, go to Windows /Start/Computer/ Select the drive letter for your Passport drive. Double click and open it. In the directory look for “WD SmartWare.swstor”. Double click. to open it. You will something like this after the Folder icon STEVE-QUDZJDDVG (this is the name of my old computer) On the next line another folder icon followed by STEVESTEPHENSON (this is the name of my new computer) If you click on each of these folders in turn, you will be able to see exactly what’s been backed up from you computers. Hope this helps. Steve

Another question Can I back up my OS to my passport if I have enough room… If you use the Windows backup utility you can save your complete system to the HDD providing there is enough space. The Windows backup utility checks this before it starts the backup. Go to Start, type in “backup and restore” follow the on-screen instructions. Steve

Thanks for your help Steve I can see the folder for my main PC and all the files pics etc.

But when I go to my laptop it does backs up but maybe to the same folder. I can’t seem to find my laptop folder on the smartware file if you know what I mean. Shall I erase the passport and try again? I tried to create another folder but I couldn’t I like your idea about backing up your system…

Get back to me with any thoughts on this pls Thanks again Peter

Peter, For the time it will take, this may be helpful. Go to Windows /Start/Computer/ Select the drive letter for your Passport drive. Double click and open it. In the directory look for “WD SmartWare.swstor”. Double click. to open it. Select the folder you see and delete it. Connect the Passport to the laptop and open Smartware. When you go to the backup tab, click "Advanced "and select only “emails” for backup. You can change the content for a complete backup later. On completion, go to “WD SmartWare.swstor” and see what you have. Repeat process for the second computer. You should end up with two folders in the “WD SmartWare.swstor” folder. If successful, go to Backup/Advanced and complete the backup for each computer. Re. Create image of your System, make sure you also create a System Repair disk in the event that you lose your hard drive. Without it, you’ll have major problems getting everything back on to your new HD. best wishes Steve

Steve I think the last set of instuctions work out … I now have two folders…Thanks again  Peter