Backing up the "my book live"

Hi

Apologies if this seems like a dumb question, but I bought a mybook live to transfer all the data from my laptop and the data from my partner’s laptop to free up space on the laptops and macbook we have to enable them to work quicker, but also to allow us to access data wherever we are. We started this and then the Mybook went wrong and I had to send it back and get a new one- in doing so I lost my data. The 2nd mybook didn’t work at all, so I sent for a 3rd. this time the mybook works fine but we are paranoid about the backup losing the data again. Which leads to my question- is there a way of backing up the data on the mybook to a cloud service so that it will mirror the data I have on the mybook- then if anything does go wrong I can copy the data from the cloud. Essentially it will be music and pictures. The mybook I have is a 3tb one which is not full.

If so any recommendations as to who please?

i am based in the UK if that matters?

Thanks in advance for any help and guidence.

I’m not sure where you’ll back up that sort of data volume… I’d envisage issues with the initial upload being a nightmare, and then if you do accumulate 2-3TB in this cloud (at whatever ongoing expense??), retrieving it in the event of a disaster would be just as bad…  Do you really need even 1TB continuously mirrored???

I just buy cheap WD Elements drives (or similar from competitors), about $50-60/TB usually, and keep in the cupboard… not a mirrored backup by any stretch, but cheap/fast/available/flexible…

Lee

“I bought a mybook live to transfer all the data from my laptop and the data from my partner’s laptop to free up space on the laptops and macbook we have to enable them to work quicker”

That will not make the computers faster, just an FYI. 

And before anything, you have to understand what backups really are. MBL is not a Backup machine, it can be use for such, but it is not.

Backup = software

Hardware would be where you place your backups.

Here is some good reading… 

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-33088_39-57556308/digital-storage-basics-part-3-backup-vs-redundancy/

Main part under BACKUP:

Home users might not need redundancy but they definitely need backup, which basically means keeping separate copies of data in multiple places so that if something happens to one place you can turn to another. The more copies of data you have, the safer it is.

Now, from withint MBL, you can use the following to back it up.

• Safepoints (read manual)

• rsync (command line)

• scp (command line)

Good luck on your reseach/reading!!!

my $.02…

• Keep files on PC/Mac/Etc.

• Backup the files from the PC/Mac/Etc to MBL

I keep multiple copies of many of my important files in multiple places (different media). I have MyBookLive 3TB, 6TB DUO and 8TB DUO, plus too many older NAS to count.