Backdoor to enable SSH access or reset web access?

Hi,

I bought the 6 TB MBLD about a month ago and was messing around using SSH.  I inadvertantly broke the web access (http://insertiphere/ui).  I performed a factory reset (no reformat), but unfortunately, while this reset the device and kept my data, it disabled SSH access and it did not fix my web access problems.  I can still see all my data via the DLNA server, but can not access the drive any other way.  I took this to tech support, but their suggestion was RMA.  I would really like to copy some (lots) data off the drive before I send it back, but have no way of copying it over to another machine. 

I tried pulling one drive and hooking it to my computer via a SATA enclosure, but because each drive (RAID 1 array) is over 2.1 TB, I need a special PCI card from WD.  I created a Ubuntu VM, but still couldn’t successfully mount the drive. 

Is there a way to “force” enable SSH or reset web access w/o losing data?

Is there a way to effectively copy 180 GB of data from the drive using DLNA? 

If I return it to WD, will they just pull the drives, drop in new ones and send it back, or will they actually try to keep my existing data?

Any help would be appreciated.  ~Neil

PS.  Looking forward to eventually installing the new firmware…

I had to reinstall my old MBL completely because of this. Since it’s only 1 disc and no RAID, I was able to put the drive into my desktop PC and copy over 1 TB. In your case you might have to do it over GB Ethernet.

The only way I can access my drive is via the DLNA server.  I have no Web UI, no shared folders, no SSH.  How do I access my drive via ethernet?

Sorry misread your post, I just saw that you don’t have any shared folders!

I know it may be a little too late to mention now, but what one can do is create a special Samba share that gives access to the ENTIRE MBL and MBLD file system. Before messing with the innards of the NAS, it would be a good idea to establish one or more back doors. Maybe even modify the script that runs when the reset button is pressed to copy back a working set of files to re-enable the SSH daemon.

I do wonder why WD have not done such a thing.

Myron wrote:

I know it may be a little too late to mention now, but what one can do is create a special Samba share that gives access to the ENTIRE MBL and MBLD file system. Before messing with the innards of the NAS, it would be a good idea to establish one or more back doors. Maybe even modify the script that runs when the reset button is pressed to copy back a working set of files to re-enable the SSH daemon.

I do wonder why WD have not done such a thing.

Care to post a link, as I would like to do that with my MBLD

Thanks

Edit the file: /etc/samba/overall_share

As the following to the TOP of the file.

[__NAS_root]
  path = /
  comment =
  browseable = no
  invalid users =
  valid users = admin
  read list =
  write list = admin
  map read only = no

Can’t stress enough how careful you need to be when you use this BackDoor workaround. Personally I would only have it in there while a BackDoor is needed otherwise it’s taken out. Also remember to use a text editor that formats text files like Linux text file editors (Like nano) do. Linux file names are case sensitive and Samba is not that fussed.

The Samba daemon does not need a restart and neither does the NAS. The configuration change is picked up without a reboot.

If you leave the BackDoor through Samba open then you do so at your own risk!  You also use this BackDoor method at your own risk!