Avoid firmware update 2.08.13.

Since the update my mkv x264 files are not playing properly, they exit at certain points. Which makes watching the movie impossible since it happens every couple of minutes

@@

Okay I decided to keep digging and was surprised to find thumbnails for each View Page in the thumb folders.

I decided to compare them with the original and by looking even closer i found way more mistakes

CHECK THIS OUT

In one image it either cuts pixels from the middle or compresses the image that much that an entire frame that sourounds the poster wen missing. The overall compression is horrible and while they make us believe they changed the loading times of the backdrops they simply tempered with the thumbnail file size which makes browsing appear to be faster but on a high end tv this is more like pixelation mania.

I stand my by statement, this is unusuable and if they keep it this way i move on to another device.

Developing themes is off for the moment since we don’t know where it is going.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Hi DeVicious, nice work on emphasing the major issue on PNG and JPG displays with this EXTREMELY POOR  latest update!

WHAT THE …!!!

I just hope WD listen carefully to your argument and that your persistance with this issue (along with many others) prevails.

3amzooo wrote:
Since the update my mkv x264 files are not playing properly, they exit at certain points. Which makes watching the movie impossible since it happens every couple of minutes

i had that too, made a reboot from the settings menu and it worked fine

flhthemi wrote:

DeVicious wrote:

Here a Rumor froma German retailer that claims to know…  I take no responsibility for the content in this statement, just offering a possible answer:

He said that the overload of images by using full screen images as thumbnails has caused physical memory breakage and Western Digital is using this new cropping scenario as a prevention for that.

(again, just offering this rumor, i wouldn’t know if any of that is true)

If that was translated from German to English breakage may be reffering to like a memory overload. The result being hosed up data? Can’t see how you could break a memory chip…but then what do I know…just sayin’

I am not German myself i just live there temporarily, there are some language barriers but they guy used the word “kaputt” which means it broke… like I said this is just a rumor which i put here but I don’t think it is discuss worthy unless it gets confirmed

Hey DeVicious,

Well, I would not take much stock in what a retailer said.  Unless someone has looked at the actual firmware, like with others is just an assumption.  And if if was a memory leakage problem, you would most likely see a slow down in preformance of the HUB.

Another problem that you have to realize is that the thumbs folder is not the only place that the HUB caches the thumbnails, it appears that there is double caching going on and the other place that it caches is to the flash memory.  The flash memory cache overides the thumb folder cache and if you delete the thumbs folder it writes it back using the cache in the memory.

Also, I think that you may be using the trickle terminology wrong.  Trickle is the effect of stacking thumbnails from large to small or vise versa.

i upgraded to this horrible firmware version… took me 1 min to realise i needed to do a rollback, so i downloaded firmware 2.6 from the wdc site. When i wanted to downgrade to the firmware i got this message:  :smileyvery-happy:

Yep, that’s exactly what it’s suppose to be.  To trick the HUB into loading the previous firmware the version number had to be change in the rollback version.  However, once you flash it, it will still be version 2.06.13 when you check the version number in the settings.

The “New Version” number is not the actual version number, it is just the number in the .ver file.

The coding of the firmware and workarounds is almost to sad to laugh at. 

Tinwarble wrote:

Hey DeVicious,

Also, I think that you may be using the trickle terminology wrong.  Trickle is the effect of stacking thumbnails from large to small or vise versa.

that’s why I consider myself a N00B :smileyvery-happy:

Hello TW I have resloved the mystery of the image that wasn’t supposed to be there

This one

I didn’t realize before that the Live Hub FINALLY displays all cover art that was assigned to a music file in iTunes.

The symbol you see was generated by iTunes and assigned it to the mp3 file. It is the iTunes no cover art image, lol!

I knew it was familar but didn’t realize it in this environment.

…talking about stirring the pot uh? :smileyvery-happy:

omg! I don’t know if my eyes are bad but…

i just tested one of my old modified themes on firmware 2.08.13

Covertrickle moviesheets appear faster… it does not lag as before…

with the @@poster variable, Folder thumbnails does not appear distorted…in gallery view

may be its due to the new scaling method…of the firmware.

folder thumbnails in list view are no longer distorted

**bleep** it… mediafire has deleted all my covertrickle moviesheet samples…and i don’t have time to play with the hub as before!

but still the new thumbails (whether folder or video) generated by the hub… with thumbnail 2.08.13 appear DISTORTED

in gallery view!