Avoid firmware update 2.08.13.

Ok everyone, just to let you know, you should avoid the new firmware update (ver. 2.08.13).  This update has broken several things with the UI especially with displaying .pngs.

Now if you have a png for your file thumbnail and have changed the extension to jpg it will no longer display.  And keeping the extension as png will now display for the poster (larger thumbnail) were it didn’t before, but it still does not display as a true png.  You may also find that your poster thumbnail is being cut off.

There also seems to be some scaling issues with images.  I haven’t had the time to look through all of it yet, but apparently there is some missing data on how the firmware determines the width & height of images.

2 Likes

:-/

how to roll back - im updating as im reading this :-/

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/~/how-to-roll-back-the-firmware-on-a-wd-tv-live-hub-media-center

EDIT: 10-07-11 (THE BELOW IS NO LONGER NECESSARY, THE ROLLBACK FIRMWARE HAS NOW BEEN UPDATE WITH VERSION 2.07.17)

If you need to rollback to 2.07.17, then you need to download the firmware from HERE (you may need to create an account), then extract all the files to a USB thumbdrive.

Open the file “wdtvlivehub.ver” and the edit the version number to a higher number than 2.08.13.  Something like this:

VERSION='2.09.10'LOCATION='wdtvlivehub.bin’PKG_LOCATION='wdtvlivehub.pkg’ROOTFS2=‘wdtvlivehub.bi2’

Save the file then follow the same directions from the link above.

just found that page - but i cant roll back to  2.07.1?

See the edited post above.

diddan wrote:

just found that page - but i cant roll back to  2.07.1?

It usually takes them a few days to post the official rollback firmware. It’ll prolly be around Friday or Monday.

Well, the “official” rollback firmware is only the regular firmware with a high ver. number in the .ver file.

All that it is, is WD has done what I describe above for you, and until they get theirs uploaded you can just follow the directions above.

Yep.
Work as you described it.
I went back to FW 2.07.17 since it work well for me.

TW

in your opinion will the issue be resolved in a fix or is THIS going to be the new standard.

Obivously we all had our work arounds to get rid off the firmware shortcommings and my gallery view is a mess like my sisters bed room, the question is however if we should adjust our themes to be up to date or sit this one out.

I am too new to this, I can’t tell what their next step would be.

Your input would be very welcome.

Thnx TW!

Rolled back to previous FW …

Alrighty this too borked too fix, there is literally no way for trickle themes to make it work.

The cut off thumbnails depend on the dimensions of the filename.jpg (or filename.png)

Let’s say you generate thumbnails in 240x360 and theme you are using is displaying it in 135x190

then the left side and the bottom will be cut off. This doesn’t really bother with thumbnails that have no borders but when you are using a trickle theme which is calculated on the last pixel or your thumbnails have a border frame it will cut off 2 pixels on top and the left.

THE ONLY WAY to have thumbnails displayed correctly is to generate them in the exact size as the theme wants to display them, which is another total NO-GO! It can’t be fixed otherwise. Not even the default themes work 100% correctly and on top of that they messed with the height alignment in Gallery View, it plummed 12 pixels closer to the bottom.

Whatever they call Adjustment Improvments in their release note is in fact a bug. It is unusuable and I suggest people complain so they’ll fix it.

There has been improvement in the backdrop display time and especially they got rid off the delay when you browse in Gallery View but the thumbnail issue is a complete mess, nobody asked for it, it takes away the freedom of how to create themes and many themes including my own look simply stupid.

Don’t upgrade and ask for a fix, because if this won’t be fixed the time where you can switch between themes is over because your generated thumbnails will be all messed up

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up TW, I fear they will never implement the proper use of png files.  2 steps backwards…again

DeVicious,

Just so that you know, I have made WD aware of what has been broke in the firmware as far as the UI is concerned and have been told that it is being looked into.  So hopefully it will get fixed (sooner rather than later I hope), but only tme will tell.

1 Like

"Open the file “wdtvlivehub.ver” and the edit the version number to a higher number than 2.08.13.  Something like this:

VERSION='2.09.10'LOCATION='wdtvlivehub.bin’PKG_LOCATION='wdtvliveh

ub.pkg’ROOTFS2=‘wdtvlivehub.bi2’"

how do you actually open the ‘wdtvlivehub.ver’ file?

thx

Its ok

was being dumb - done it. Now to try my first roll back :dizzy_face:

Just double click on the file, it should open in Notepad (for Windows).

If it doesn’t then right click on it, then select “Open with” and if you don’t see Notepad listed, then select “Chose default program” a new window will pop up.  Click on the arrow next to  “Other Programs”, then find Notepad and click on it and then click on “OK”.

1 Like

Tinwarble wrote:

DeVicious,

Just so that you know, I have made WD aware of what has been broke in the firmware as far as the UI is concerned and have been told that it is being looked into.  So hopefully it will get fixed (sooner rather than later I hope), but only tme will tell.

Thanx for doing that and thanx for letting me/us know.

Have you noticed they have a new “no cover art” symbol for the music player it overwrites the existing one

You welcome.

I haven’t noticed any change to the “no cover art” image for music.  Are you using an image that you created in your theme or are you just using the Mochi images?

I have looked through the OSD folder for the new firmware though and I can’t see any changes from the previous as to the music images.

phew:neutral_face:

rolled back and back to ‘normal’

1 Like

Looks like they posted the official rollback today, so if you need to rollback no need to edit any files…