Apple TV2 and iTunes Server on MBL

Before I spend too much time playing with this, has anyone found a way to get the iTunes server running on their MBL to show on an Apple TV2, this is without having another PC/Mac in between.

I was kind of hoping the default iTunes server on the MBL would show on the Apple TV. So, in theory, that share would appear on the Apple TV along side my MacBook’s library share. (assuming they were different libraries)

I know the work around is to have my laptop use the library on the MBL and then share that, but didn’t want the laptop to be REQUIRED.

I’m looking to do the same thing, but from the reading that I’ve done this is not possible.  You need a computer running iTunes in order for ATV2 to see that library.  Seems counter-intuitive to be calling it as iTunes server, but maybe they will fix this in the future.

I’m not sure what the value of the iTunes server really is… I have a desktop at home where iTunes is always running.  With ATV2 and airplay you can stream the music to any airplay device, providing you have iTunes running somewhere.   I see the benefit of having your music/movie/tv shows etc., stored on  NAS and keeping your iTunes library there, but it seems that iTunes server capability doesn’t mesh with ATV2 and airplay.  Hopefully that will change in the future as I’m sure many people would welcome that functionality.

Just my 2 cents, I could be wrong on some parts.

Cheers,

C.

I also wish to do this.

What is the work around to get your laptop to use the MBL library in iTunes?

iTunes has to be running on your laptop and home sharing turned on in order for ATV2 to see it.  You could move your iTunes library to the NAS as well.  If you just use the iTunes server on the MBL, you still need iTunes running on your laptop.  There is no way around that.  I don’t think streaming to the ATV2 through the iTunes server is possible or works the way anybody would like it to.

C.