[APP] Transmission various versions for firmware V4+ (05/2020)

NP~ enjoy…

Has anybody tried this method on the new firmware -623? Thanks.

I have not upgraded to -623 as I have lots of mods to restore if I upgrade. Waiting for WD to release a new firmware to address the “Shell Shock” vulnerability. Should be very soon.

But you should have no issues installing on -623, I’ve downloaded and check the img, it’s the same 64K page size memory environment.

Hi,

it works great, thanks.

Is there any way to password protect the transmission web client?

Edit the settings.json. 

Ok, so I have stopped the transmission than I’ve edited the ~/root/.config/transmission-daemon/settings.json file to the following:

• rpc-authentication-required: true
  • rpc-password: “somepassword”
  • rpc-username: “admin”
  • rpc-whitelist: “127.0.0.1”
  • rpc-whitelist-enabled: true

after restarting the transmission-deamon the web client still does not ask for password (tried from local and from external IP but no luck). I’m using no-ip.org and port forwarding is enabled on my router for 9091 port. 

Any suggestion?

stop daemon

change rpc-whitelist, you need to change it to “*” if you want to be managed remotely.

start daemon

Regards

rpc-whitelist: “*” does not work.Its still does not ask for username and password.

Here is my current configuration:

“rpc-authentication-required”: true,
“rpc-bind-address”: “0.0.0.0”,
“rpc-enabled”: true,
“rpc-password”: “mypassword”,
“rpc-port”: 9091,
“rpc-url”: “/transmission/”,
“rpc-username”: “admin”,
“rpc-whitelist”: “*”,
“rpc-whitelist-enabled”: true,

try to configure transmission daemon settings in

/var/lib/transmission-daemon/info/settings.json

sorry but there is no such a directory.

See the 1st post. Your settings.json is in a different path.

no, I’m editing the only one setting.json file. I searched the entire file system, there are no more settings.json file on the disc.

If you installed the deb from this thread, the config file will be in your home relative path:

nano ~/.config/transmission-daemon/settings.json

Hi,

thanks everyone for the help, it’s working now: the web interface is now asking for the username and password though I’m not sure what was wrong. I needed to save and overwrite the setting.json file several times while transmission-daemon was stopped. Saving the file one time wasn’t enough for some reason which is strange. Than I had to wait for several minutes before starting the transmission-daemon again which is also a strange behaviour. While I was re-saving the settings.json file I did not made any changes in it. It looks like that it needed some time to take effect the changes or there was some delay between stopping and starting the daemon…

Either way it’s working now, but I don’t know the reason why it’s working which is frustrating.

I can share my current settings.json file if there is a need for it.

meehi wrote:

Hi,

thanks everyone for the help, it’s working now: the web interface is now asking for the username and password though I’m not sure what was wrong. I needed to save and overwrite the setting.json file several times while transmission-daemon was stopped. Saving the file one time wasn’t enough for some reason which is strange. Than I had to wait for several minutes before starting the transmission-daemon again which is also a strange behaviour. While I was re-saving the settings.json file I did not made any changes in it. It looks like that it needed some time to take effect the changes or there was some delay between stopping and starting the daemon…

Either way it’s working now, but I don’t know the reason why it’s working which is frustrating.

I can share my current settings.json file if there is a need for it.

It’s by design. While running, the daemon will lock the settings.json. When the daemon stops, it flushes the known settings from the webUI to the settings.json. This is different from other applications that can use reload options because to avoid conflicts, the main configurable settings are from the webUI.

If you need to edit, you need to make sure the daemon is no longer running by checking “ps -ef|grep transmission”.

It may take awhile for the daemon to exit after issuing the stop command as it needs to do its own cleanup before shutting down. FYI, the stop script I posted is doing SIGTERM not KILL.

Hi,

I’ve been wondering if I upgrade FirmWare to 4 version, my Transmission would stay installed and working. Could you confirm that? I can’t find in anywhere written.

If not, how can I preserve all configs and torrents from disappearing after FW upgrade?

Thanks,

Not only v4, if you flash any firmware everything will revert back to stock and no 3rd party apps or modifications will survive.

If you choose to upgrade to v4, keep a copy of the settings.json elsewhere, install the transmission deb from the 1st post and copy back the settings.json to the path mentioned on the 1st post.

Hello,

I have follow the guide on page 1, and it’s working for me.

But, when i try to access  from outside (android application on 4G) I get a 403 error.

If switch to wifi it works.

I have port forwarded 9091 etc.

Question : how do i allow the RPC (if im not wrong) to be accessed from outside ?

I have try whitelist enabled + list = “*” wo any luck.

Im a total noob in linux, if I can avoid to add user/group and so on would be great, or i have to if someone have a guide ?

Thank you in advance, a french (u will have guess :d) user

Guillaume

Below my json file.

“alt-speed-down”: 50,
    “alt-speed-enabled”: false,
    “alt-speed-time-begin”: 540,
    “alt-speed-time-day”: 127,
    “alt-speed-time-enabled”: false,
    “alt-speed-time-end”: 1020,
    “alt-speed-up”: 50,
    “bind-address-ipv4”: “0.0.0.0”,
    “bind-address-ipv6”: “::”,
    “blocklist-enabled”: false,
    “blocklist-url”: " http://www.example.com/blocklist",
    “cache-size-mb”: 2,
    “dht-enabled”: true,
    “download-dir”: “/root/Downloads”,
    “download-queue-enabled”: true,
    “download-queue-size”: 20,
    “encryption”: 0,
    “idle-seeding-limit”: 30,
    “idle-seeding-limit-enabled”: false,
    “incomplete-dir”: “/root/Downloads”,
    “incomplete-dir-enabled”: false,
    “lpd-enabled”: false,
    “message-level”: 2,
    “peer-congestion-algorithm”: “”,
    “peer-id-ttl-hours”: 6,
    “peer-limit-global”: 200,
    “peer-limit-per-torrent”: 50,
    “peer-port”: 51413,
    “peer-port-random-high”: 65535,
    “peer-port-random-low”: 49152,
    “peer-port-random-on-start”: false,
    “peer-socket-tos”: “default”,
    “pex-enabled”: true,
    “port-forwarding-enabled”: false,
    “preallocation”: 1,
    “prefetch-enabled”: 0,
    “queue-stalled-enabled”: true,
    “queue-stalled-minutes”: 30,
    “ratio-limit”: 2,
    “ratio-limit-enabled”: false,
    “rename-partial-files”: true,
    “rpc-authentication-required”: false,
    “rpc-bind-address”: “0.0.0.0”,
    “rpc-enabled”: true,
    “rpc-password”: “{b17caea03179aad15d217e53b56e745dfcdb9b3bXVzIPcs2”,
    “rpc-port”: 9091,
    “rpc-url”: “/transmission/”,
    “rpc-username”: “”,
    “rpc-whitelist”: “”,
    “rpc-whitelist-enabled”: false,
    “scrape-paused-torrents-enabled”: true,
    “script-torrent-done-enabled”: false,
    “script-torrent-done-filename”: “”,
    “seed-queue-enabled”: false,

“seed-queue-size”: 10,
    “speed-limit-down”: 100,
    “speed-limit-down-enabled”: false,
    “speed-limit-up”: 100,
    “speed-limit-up-enabled”: false,
    “start-added-torrents”: true,
    “trash-original-torrent-files”: false,
    “umask”: 0,
    “upload-slots-per-torrent”: 14,
    “utp-enabled”: true

Guibizet, did you install transmission on -607 or -623 fimware?

Thank You, I think I should stay in FM 3 for a while…