Any way to force a firmware update from a bricked unit?

I got my WD TV Live player yesterday from Ebuyer in the UK, but only get the WD Logo on the screen when powering it on.  Having spoken to WD Support in Holland yesterday, they confirmed that the unit was DOA, so I’m having to wait at least another week for a replacement unit.  In the meantime, I’ve read on the forum ( http://wdtvhd.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=9135&view=findpost&p=13225) that the unit may automatically reboot itself into update mode after some time, but mine hasn’t worked.

Does anybody know of a way to force a firware update from a connected USB stick, without going through any menu options? 

1 Like

MikeyB wrote:

I got my WD TV Live player yesterday from Ebuyer in the UK, but only get the WD Logo on the screen when powering it on.  Having spoken to WD Support in Holland yesterday, they confirmed that the unit was DOA, so I’m having to wait at least another week for a replacement unit.  In the meantime, I’ve read on the forum ( http://wdtvhd.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=9135&view=findpost&p=13225) that the unit may automatically reboot itself into update mode after some time, but mine hasn’t worked.

Does anybody know of a way to force a firware update from a connected USB stick, without going through any menu options? 

Problem:

1. The WD TV is stuck on the WD Logo screen
  2. The WD TV requests a USB device be inserted to update the firmware (On the WD TV Live)

Cause:

These issues occur because the WD TV’s firmware is not loading properly. They can be caused by the firmware not properly installing (often caused by a corrupted download), being interrupted during the firmware update process, or because of physical damage to the device. This issue most frequently occurs when updating firmware on an already damaged unit.

Resolution:

1. First make sure the unit is plugged directly into a wall socket and not a power strip or UPS.
  2. Next, try unplugging the unit for 30 seconds, and plugging it back in.

If you are still unable to reach the GUI, try resetting your WD TV.

Instructions on how to reset the unit 

Resetting the WD TV will put all of the settings and options back to their default settings.

1. Make sure that the WD TV is connected to your TV and powered on. The WD TV should be a the main menu and not have any media currently displayed or playing. You will also want to have any devices disconnected from the WD TV.

2. Use a paperclip to press and hold the reset button, which is located on the left side of unit with power light facing you. There is a small hole next to the USB port that has the button inside.

3. Hold in the reset button for about 4 seconds and then release it.

Note: Holding the reset button down too long will change your display type.

1. The WD TV will cycle it’s power and then come back up on the TV.

Rich,

Thanks for offering your guidance.  I’d tried what you said, but the problem is that the reset button does nothing, whether as you advise by holding it in for 4 seconds, or just pressing it once, the Logo just sits there.  This is the same state as when I first plugged it in when new out of the box yesterday.

As with my Sky box, where you hold the Backup button down for 10 seconds when powering on to force a software update, I was hoping there was something similar on this WD TV Live unit.

Just wanted to try everything before the courier picks it up for a return to Ebuyer on Monday.

They were WD instructions that I pasted from their Knowledge base. If they don’t work then you have done as much as you can. Their next instruction was to return the unit, which you are doing. Good luck with next one.

All die of some form. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNW-9pfF84w Same problem?, I was lucky it happened just after 5 months

Actually, that’s not necessarily true.  Just because some exhibit some symptom doesn’t mean it’s dead – if that were true, every time someone had a pain in their chest they would die of a heart attack.

First you need to run the usual troubleshooting as Rich here mentioned.