Any photographers using My Cloud for workflow?

Hello:

I want to migrate photos from my Mac and also my PC so that I can store everything externally in one place. I have RAW and jpg files. My plan is to store all photos on the My Cloud unit and move them off the computers entirely. Then I would be working with Lightroom on the PC exclusively (Mac is dying a slow death and I want to rescue the files). I haven’t decided whether to keep the LR catalog on the PC or the external unit.

My question is: if all the files are RAW and jpg, can I just copy them into one folder on the My Cloud storage unit regardless of what platform they came from, and then access them from the same LR catalog?

Also, would you recommend My Cloud or My Cloud Pro for this?

Thanks in advance!

Lightroom can access content stored in NAS. I recommend using the My Cloud Pro with the higher end CPU and memory and the RAID option.

Just so I am understanding correctly, I can migrate files from both the Mac and the PC onto My Cloud and then use LR to access them from there with no porting issues?

Its is doable, but keep in mind that it will be a little slower. How slow depends what unit you have, what drives you use on it and what raid version you use.

I keep all my music and photos, I am also a photographer, but I keep the catalogs on NMVe SSD drives. Actually I keep all my data on the NAS. My PC 2 has NMVe SSD drives and no spinning drives or old style SSD drives.

I have a PR4100 which I run in RIAD 10 which I think gives the best performance.

I’m pretty happy with how it works. If others are also working off the NAS at the same time, you may want to do link aggregation and have two Ethernet connections to the drive to increase throughput.

But reading large RAW fines may be a littler slower depending on what type of drives you use on your PC and NAS. If you use old spinning drives on the PC, the difference will be small. If you use SSDs, the difference will be more noticeable. Also WD RED PRO drives are faster. They spin at 7200 RPM as opposed to 5400 RPM for the other models.

I have a PR4100 with 4 6TB WD RED PROs RAID 10 and a DL2100 with 2 4TB WD RED PROs RAID 0 which makes it a 8TB drive that I use to backup four different computers…