Another MBL 2TB slow thread

Just went through probaly a hundred posts about MBL being slow and nothing I could find yet was helpful.  I looked at the WebDAV thread and my network says “Microsoft Windows Network” so that seems OK.  Over the netowork I get 2-3Mb/s, direct connect ~ 5.5 Mb/s.

My details:

Windows 8 64 bit

WNDR 3700

Cat 6 cable, lights comfirm Gb connection

Drive is almost useless at this point, anything I can do to troubleshoot.  I think the network and direct connect prove the problem is with the drive.

RobUCF wrote:

I think the network and direct connect prove the problem is with the drive.

Well, not necessarily. 

When you say “Mb” are you really meaning 2-3 megaBITS per second?  Is your PC WIRED as well, or Wireless?

Login via SSH to the MBL and issue the commands

ifconfig eth0

netstat -s

and post the output of both commands.

Any instructions on how to SSH into these?

Also, I downloaded lan test, below are the results for a 500 MB file:

Write: 31 Mbps

Read: 43 Mbps

My PC is wireless N.

What are real world numbers for these drives?  Wired vs Wireless?  

RobUCF wrote:

My PC is wireless N.

Well, that’s likely your issue then.

Here’s what mine looks like via WIRED:  68 megaBYTES per second – almost 20 times faster than your numbers.

what are realisitc expectation for wireless?

Brand new router, very close to it, little interference, “n” standard - probably about 4-5mb/s tops.

Anywhere from 30 to 150 Mbps…

I hate how manufactures use Mbps but most of us are use to Mb and we get the two confused.  In any case it looks like unless I use wire those are “normal speeds.” For example on my one computer that connects to my network at 300Mbps I get transfer rates ~7 Mb/s, my other computer that only connects at 150Mbps, I get half of that or rought 3.5 MB/s.

So the above is what I should expect wireless correct?  Or should I pursue this further with WD support?

RobUCF wrote:

I hate how manufactures use Mbps but most of us are use to Mb and we get the two confused.  …  I get transfer rates ~7 Mb/s, … I get half of that or rought 3.5 MB/s.

Mb (lower-case b) usually represents MegaBITS per second, while MB (Capital B) usually represents megaBYTES per second, and of course, there’s a substantial (8x) difference between the two.  You’re even mixing the two (7 Mb versus 3.5 MB…  3.5 MB/s is actually 4x FASTER than 7 Mb/s).

RobUCF wrote:

…should I pursue this further with WD support?

I doubt WD can do anything for you.  Since the MBL is a WIRED device (not wireless), the wireless network is yours to figure out.

But just for a comparison,  I just tried the same copy above via my Dell E6420 laptop (5.0 GHz N WiFi) and got 42-60 megabits per second.