Analog Stereo not working

I play audio through my Pioneer receiver and in mulitroom mode, the receiver will only play in analog. I only get sound from one side and only when I plug the “yellow” video cable in. the red and white audio cables get nothing. Other devices play fine. Anyone help me with this?  Thank you. 

Jim95608 wrote:

I play audio through my Pioneer receiver and in mulitroom mode, the receiver will only play in analog. I only get sound from one side and only when I plug the “yellow” video cable in. the red and white audio cables get nothing. Other devices play fine. Anyone help me with this?  Thank you. 

Sound should not be coming out the Yellow plug, that is for Video.

Have you inserted the A/V plug fully into the WDTV. It takes two ‘clicks’ for it to be correctly inserted.

Oh, and are you using the WD supplied cable?

Well, well. Who would have thought the cable mattered? I needed a longer cable to reach the analog jacks in the receiver so I bought a 6’ one. Thinking your advice on the cable was garbage, I thought I would try it to prove you wrong. Boy, was I wrong. That was it!!  The cable that came with the WD works fine in stereo. Why would that be??  Thank you for the tip. I love forums.  

Jim 

Jim95608 wrote:

Why would that be?? 

The cable presumably wasn’t fully inserted.  Sometimes the style of plug and style of jack end up being incompatible with each other.  It only needs a fraction of “too much” plastic on either side, before things don’t make proper contact.

Jim95608 wrote:

The cable that came with the WD works fine in stereo. Why would that be??  Thank you for the tip. I love forums.  

Jim 

Your welcome and I’m glad it is now working for you. Unfortunately there is no real standard for these types of plugs. Somewhere here on the forum there is a post (that at the moment I cannot find) which details the specifics of the electrical connections of the plug. Although it might be easier to find a R/W/Y RCA extender cable for your purpose.

The cable you have is more than likely wired in a different manner than the WD cable. There are 3 connections plus a ground connection so there are a number of ways it could be wired and as pointed out in last post there is no real standard. 

Wiring details are here

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/AV-component-out-cord/m-p/44614#M11663