Amazon to Stream Over 90,000 Movies, Shows, etc. to Home Media Servers

But, alas, not to any WD products. 

The list includes3 Roku models, 4 Tivo models, a Logitech, and a Sony, as well as some Blu-Ray players and TVs.

It would be a real plus for this product if it could eventually be included.  The list of titles is very impressive.  It’s free to Amazon Prime members.

Any comments from WD? 

Any users try this service?

1 Like

Amazon has been doing this for YEARS.    There’s no news here.

Unless you’re talking about the new service for PRIME MEMBERS, in which case I don’t know where you got the number 90,000…   Amazon’s own webpage says only 5,000.

1 Like

Sure would be nice if WD added Amazon instant streaming to the services it supports.

The older sevice was a download service, the new one is instant streaming more like netflix and there should be no technical reason WDTV live plus cannot support it.

1 Like

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Unless you’re talking about the new service for PRIME MEMBERS, in which case I don’t know where you got the number 90,000…   Amazon’s own webpage says only 5,000.

I just got the mailshot from Amazon about this today.

Definitely 5000.

Hopefully WD can implement this, since we do a lot of shopping on Amazon and a Prime membership makes a lot of sense.  An additional source of video streaming for “free” would be the icing on the cake.

Just a heads-up for the OP and others that there are already a few ideas regarding Amazon VOD submitted to the Ideas forum.

Vote for it here:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Live-Live-Plus-Ideas/Amazon-Video-On-Demand/idi-p/103196

1 Like

Amazon.com states there are 90,000 movies and TV shows etc. available now for streaming and download/purchase online.  I have never taken advantage of their service for anything but music so the video stream is new to me.   I didn’t bother to count their offerings.

I am a Prime member so I got a message telling me that I now can stream these for free.  It’s too bad the WD can’t do it directly.

Streaming is the future, for sure, and media servers like WD are likely to be a bit player in the entertainment world, in comparison.  It is not easy to use the WD to its fullest potential.  That’s why we need a forum like this so that those of us who want to can tweak and adjust and download and patch to make our media play on this box.

Most people do not want to bother with something like WD Live.  A huge market will be won by the manufacturer or service that makes the largest amount of media available to any and all home devices in the simplest fashion.  Even though I can make it work, and enjoy it, its limitations are frustrating.   I would rather just load or select and watch, instead of converting and fiddling and patching. 

So, streaming services are essential to those who are technophobic (most people), and attractive even to those of us who are technophilic.  I hope that WD can expand its streaming services.  If not, this box will be obsolete in just a few years. 

KelevTov wrote:

So, streaming services are essential to those who are technophobic (most people), and attractive even to those of us who are technophilic.  

Interesting…   Streaming services essential to technophobes?   Hardly.     It’s the Technophobes alone that are keeping DVD media and Red Box afloat.  :smileyvery-happy:

There’s a difference between the “Prime Eligible” videos and the Video-on-Demand service. The Prime free streaming is a limited list and includes library titles only - no new release content. The VOD service includes the new content and the season pass function etc.

Here’s an excellent breakdown recently done by Clicker showing the different services (Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, Hulu Plus, Amazon VOD, and iTunes).

I am not worried about missing out on this, though more options of any sort on WDTV is always a good thing.

I’ve tried the Amazon free Streaming since earlier this morning and it is a definite plus for  Amazon Prime members !!! This is just another example of how WD is behind the curve !!! I bought a “lifeTime” membership from PlayOn software and now I’m unable to use with my WD Live TV !! Come on WD and get with the program !!! 

jastokes wrote:

I’ve tried the Amazon free Streaming since earlier this morning and it is a definite plus for  Amazon Prime members !!! This is just another example of how WD is behind the curve !!! I bought a “lifeTime” membership from PlayOn software and now I’m unable to use with my WD Live TV !! Come on WD and get with the program !!! 

You can use playon if you roll back the firmware, can’t you?

TonyPh12345 wrote:

KelevTov wrote:

So, streaming services are essential to those who are technophobic (most people), and attractive even to those of us who are technophilic.  

Interesting…   Streaming services essential to technophobes?   Hardly.     It’s the Technophobes alone that are keeping DVD media and Red Box afloat.  :smileyvery-happy:

Yes, you’re right.  But even the RedBox users would, if they could, skip that step and just stream.  I can’t think of any reason to deal with DVDs if you can just stream, or stream - download - save the same media.  Once the industry gets that right, and all the DRM and legal issues are settled, then bye-bye DVDs.