Alphabetical Order

Hello,

I am in Panama City Panama,  I have a WDBAAL0000NBK WD TV Mini Media Player and 2 external HHD both WD one is wd500h1u-00 and the other one is My Book Essential with 1TB Cap, I have a series on Naruto Comics in both one has 200 chapters or episodes and the other one (1tb) has 168 chapters, the problem is when I hook up the HD to the Mini Media Player the files do not appear in Alphabetical Order like Naruto 01, Naruto 02, Naruto 03, Naruto 04 etc, it is in any other order… I have done a couple Trouble Shooting but still cannot come up with the cause of the issue… If any one  could help it will be deeply appreciated.

Regards,

kdunmoodie.

hello.

as u have over 100 file’s try renameing them,

001 naruto

002 naruto

if a file is named i.e naruto.01 it will come after a file named naruto 160 (or very last file) 

how bad is the mix up ?  is it totaly mixed up , naruto 05 naruto 133 naruto 24 .

sorry i cant help more, but give the renameing a go and see if there any difference …

good luck

Thanks for the reply, i really do appreciate it … i did change their names from naruto 01 to naruto 001 and they still do not work the way they are supposed to what i am going to do is re-rename all 220 files one by one and hope for the best… any other suggestions wil be deeply appreciated…

Regards.

there’s a program called bulk rename utility that can help you change the filenames REALLY easily.  give it a go.

http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Download.php

Hi kdunmoodie,

I have the same problem playing movie files sequencially. I have the same compilation as you are and having trouble playing it episode by episode. It is a headache to navigate through the long list of files. I have tried renaming several times but to no use. I wonder if how WD firmware does the sorting? In case, you manage to have yours running the way you wanted it, share info with us. I am pretty sure that many of us owners do share the same burden. Thanks and good luck!

Simple.   Name them alphabetically.

Episode 01

Episode 02

Episode 03

Episode 20

etc.

But you do have to include the leading zeroes, or else they will be played:

Episode 1

Episode 10

Episode 11

Episode 19

Episode 2

Episode 20

Episode 3

Episode 4

Hello,

I have noticed a similar file sorting issue in the photo viewer.

My picture files start with a date number YYYYMMDD  eg 20100716 and I was expecting them to appear sorted in alphanumeric order.  They do on my windows machines but not on the TV mini.

I contacted WD support and they suggested updating the firmware, which I did.  Still out of order.  So they suggested I contact this forum for answers.

At least I am not the only one experienceing this sorting issue.

How ARE they being sorted?  Give us an example.

Example of the file order displayed on the WD TV mini are;

20100605_IMG_6015.jpg

20100605_IMG_6019.jpg

20100703_IMG_6047.jpg

20100702_IMG_6045.jpg

20100506_IMG_5961.jpg

20100506_IMG_5951.jpg

20100506_IMG_5945.jpg

20100506_IMG_5955.jpg

Same files appear in following order in windows explorer;

20100506_IMG_5945.jpg

20100506_IMG_5951.jpg

20100506_IMG_5955.jpg

20100506_IMG_5961.jpg

20100605_IMG_6015.jpg

20100605_IMG_6019.jpg

20100702_IMG_6045.jpg

20100703_IMG_6047.jpg

This is in chronological order and is the order I was hoping to see them displayed in the WD TV mini slideshow.

Note that there are 164 files in the folder and I have only listed the first 8 that appear on the WD TV.

Folders that have less than 100 photos in them (using similar file name convention)  seem to display in the correct chronological order.

It seems like there is an issue with the file indexing on the WD?

Oh.

I agree with you, yeah, that’s not right… :slight_smile:

Yes it appears like their is a two digit limit to the the file indexing.

Is there any way/process of raising this with the developers at WD?

Thier support email response was pretty lame,  they suggested looking for help in this forum.  They state that their team monitor the discussions for issues.

davidreid wrote:

… They state that their team monitor the discussions for issues. 

Errr, not so much.

I am kinda surprised I hadn’t read about this particular issue.

Is this behavior the same for MUSIC or VIDEO, too?   Does it work correctly if there’s a SMALL number of files?

Is anyone else other than DavidReid able to reproduce this?

Hello TonyPH,

MUSIC - I do not have any music on the USB hard drive

VIDEO - I use a similar name convention for video and they appear in expected (alphanumeric sort) BUT I don’t have more than 99 videos in any folder.

PHOTOS - Folders with less than 100 photos are sorted fine.  I have tested it by copying some of the jpg files  from a folder with 200+ files to another folder.  The same files in a new folder seem to sort fine.

I am surprised that no one has encoutered this before.

I am not keen on splitting my photos into folders of less than 100 files each.