All data gone on My Book Studio II

I already just moved the WD Application to the trash and emptied the trash.  Was this a big mistake?

Any word on when a fix will be coming and if it will be coming from WD or from Apple?

Thank you.

That last one should also include a “-R” since /var/tmp/com.WD.WDDriveManagerService is a directory, so:

sudo rm -R /var/tmp/com.WD.WDDriveManagerService

2 Likes

garywade wrote:

That last one should also include a “-R” since /var/tmp/com.WD.WDDriveManagerService is a directory, so:

sudo rm -R /var/tmp/com.WD.WDDriveManagerService

Thanks for the heads up.  We fixed it.

WD contact me and offered me a free data recovery. I drive to a WD partner today and get my RAID tested. They confirm that it’s a software-level corruption and the hardware is OK. They’ll do their best and recover the data free of charge for me. Though they don’t give any garantee and especially for the folder architecture. I feel weird that they don’t even have one MAC machine. So they’ll just format another disk ( I provide it) to NTFS and write any data recovered.

Well, finger crossed. Good luck for me.

I still hope that WD will give some magic software fix and my data will all be back.

All my data gone too iTB from a Mybook studio II, any sign of a fix?  I have deleted all WD software that I can see from my Mac and it is still wiping the drive clear.

Yup. Me too. My WD MyBook Studio Edition for Mac does not even show up in the finder as attached to the Mac. And, in my case anyway, the back up of the drive is grayed out in the Seagate Drive I have it backed up on. I sure hope these guys find a software solution and let us have it for free. I think they owe us that much!

In the mean time I am pulling all my backup drives until Apple and WD and any others affected get this whole thing straightened out…assuming that they do…

Peterjw7 and BruceB909, Please check your private messages.

Interesting, all this was reported to WD before Mavericks was even officially released!

Same case, WD MyBook Studio II (RAID 1) doesn’t even show up in finder. Disk utility reports partition errors. Scanning for partitions reveals two EFI EPS and HFS+ partitions (empty). 300GB of iMovie footage gone!

Are WD any closer to resolving this issue? It’s shocking that they have been made aware of this issue well in advance of the  public Mavericks release and still proceeded without any warning to their customers.

What I particullary appreciate from WD is an email at 23:55 on Friday asking me to contact them if I’ve been affected, only for me to then noitce that they UK email support team on work mon-fri…genius!

I’ve had 1 of my 2 drives be affected by this issue, I affraid to plug my ‘good’ drive in just in case it wipes it… Ive tried to delete WD raid manager but other than that I’ve had no direction from WD.

Same issue here. WD My Book Studio II was conntected using USB to my MacBook Pro during upgrade to Mavericks. A couple days later, my partition (HFS+) were gone and replaced by a EFI EPS and a HFS+ partition.

Drive was configured as RAID 1 using the WD Raid Manager Utility.

Utility was still installed during/after the upgrade.

This just happened to me tonight…:confounded:

Any guess if there is a possible solution from WD to recover the files at all?

QUESTION RE RECOMMENDATION TO UNINSTALL WD DRIVE MANAGER:

According to the My Book Studio II user manual the “WD Drive Manager enables Safe ShutdownTM” making sure that the drive can’t be switched off during write operations. For example during or after a Time Machine backup you can hear the drive writing or defragmenting files. Switching the drive off in the middle of a write operation would result in damaged files. Now that WD recommends to uninstall WD Drive Manager - wouldn’t that be dangerous? How should I know when is the correct = safe moment to switch off my drive?

Many thanks.

coxorange wrote:

QUESTION RE RECOMMENDATION TO UNINSTALL WD DRIVE MANAGER:

According to the My Book Studio II user manual the “WD Drive Manager enables Safe ShutdownTM” making sure that the drive can’t be switched off during write operations. For example during or after a Time Machine backup you can hear the drive writing or defragmenting files. Switching the drive off in the middle of a write operation would result in damaged files. Now that WD recommends to uninstall WD Drive Manager - wouldn’t that be dangerous? How should I know when is the correct = safe moment to switch off my drive?

Many thanks.

We have escalated your concerns and requested for Support to contact you.

I have follwed these and verified several times.  I have also removed the previously referenced file.

I have done a search under /Library and /System as user root : ls -lR * | grep -i wd, and examined results to see if anything missed.  I have done a search as user root from /Applications for WDDriveManager : ls -Rl | grep WDDriveManager, and am getting no results.

Would it supposedly be safe to upgrade to Mavericks?  I am currently on Mountain Lion.  I have several WD branded ‘drives’, ie a drive with enclosure, that are external back up drives for internal storage.

One of the external drives, a My Book Studio 2TB which is partitioned into two 1TB volumes which checked out fine on my wife’s 2011 iMac with Mavericks.  That iMac has never had any external storage attached and has no indication I could find of any WD software, etc. 

I found references to the included apps and utilities on one of the drives itself in a folder, and removed those.  

Hi guys,

It seems like Wondershare may be a solution to retrieve some of lost data.

__https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5475136?start=240&tstart=0   (The middle of the page posted by jsac88)

Let’s try to help each others out before WD figures out a solution and retrieve our data back.

In fairness to WD I wanted to bring this picture up to date. 

After I discovered the problem, I disconnected all my drives and sent the WD software on my Mac to the trash, then waited for help or resolution. Then, last night, I received a call from a concerned help representative at WD. He asked me to plug in my WD MyBook Studio Edition for Mac to the USB port. I did so and the data was all there exactly as it should have been. We then tried it again via Firewire and the computer did not acknowledge it. The Rep told me that WD was working on a solution to the problem. 

So, I plugged back in through the USB port and all was fine. Then I tried to back up the WD HD and could not (USB too slow I guess). So I turned the HD off and disconnected the power and the USB cable. Then I plugged in the firewire, then the power and low and behold, there it was along with all my data. So I backed up everything, and then shut down the computer, and tried restarting. The drive was still there. 

I can’t explain any of this. I can’t tell you why or how it worked, but it did. So far…So in the meantime I have disconnected my other two drives, where the really important data is, and will continue to wait out the problem and its solution as Apple and WD cope with it. But at least my cousin’s music library is safe as I continue to orchestrate his move from an Acer to a Macbook Pro…:smileyvery-happy:

Well, I got the call from WD support, but he didn´t do much other than ask a bunch of questions already discussed here in the forum. (remove WD software, wich I already had done, other checks and not much more)

Thanks to friends I got hold of Data Rescue 3 and a Seagate 3Tb to make a Recovery and a Clone of my affected disc, just in case. 
So now it is just to sit and wait for a solution. 

November 5, 2013 Update

You can now download the WD Software Uninstaller.  This utility will remove Mac WD SmartWare and WD Drive Manager software.  You can find the uninstaller under any of the Mac Drive Downloads sections such as the My Book Studio below.

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=124&sid=214&lang=en

2 Likes

who was in charge of testing this before Mavericks was released?

I have seen a poor guy saying “Im about to lose my job because 5 years of work and 8 Terabytes are gone forever and all our clients are furious”    very sad. :cry: