ALAC on WD TV live

hi, does anybody know if the WD TV does support Apple’s lossless codecs now ? if not, are there other products from WD that do? umi

As far as I know, we won’t support this.  It’s proprietary to Apple. 

right, but put on open source in the meantime, too. some info on a wd site indicates that for the “elements play” series Alac shold be supported. I wish, anybody could confirm.all posts I read right here are pointing in the opposite direction. http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2698/~/list-of-compatible-media-file-types-for-all-wd-tv-and-wd-elements-play-products

Can you post a picture of what you’re seeing in the knowledge base article, because I’m not seeing it.

I copied this from the bottom of the page. Sorry for the format. Music Extension Filename Container Format Codec Supported Limitation .mp2 MPEG Audio Layer 2 YES Supported up to 32Kbps-320Kbps .mp3 MPEG Audio Layer 1 YES Supported up to CBR/VBR 32Kbps-320kbps 8-48KHz Layer 2 YES Layer 3 YES MPEG2.5 YES .wav Wave PCM YES Supported up to 32kbps-192Kbps LPCM YES ADPCM YES .pcm Wave PCM YES 1411.2 Kbps 44.1 KHz stereo .adpcm Wave PCM YES 1411.2 Kbps 44.1 KHz stereo .aac ADTS AAC-LC YES Supported up to 8-48KHz .m4a ALAC AAC-LC YES Supported up to 8-48KHz .m4r MPEG Audio AAC-LC YES Supported up to 8-48KHz .flac FLAC FLAC YES Supported up to 8-48KHz .wma Windows Media Audio WMA 2 YES 32Kbps-320Kbps .ape Monkey’s Audio Monkey’s Audio YES Supported up to 8-44.1KHz .ogg OGG ogg Vorbis YES Supported up to 8-48KHz .mpa MPEG Audio Layer 2 YES 224 Kbps 44.1 KHz stereo

One more thing: the list is for the “elements play” product group which would seem a good choice then for me.

I’m looking into this now.

That’s a mistake, and it will be fixed.  None of the current players support ALAC.

Wow. Thanks for the"official reply", Leads me into problems, since I want to copy my itunes lib and play it from the disk. And reformatting 100GB is not really an option. Meanwhile I sent a link to 2 alac files to a customer who had reviewed the “elements play 2TB” on amazon. http://roundup.libav.org/issue2618 He tried both and wrote me they played well !

Just so you know, saying that it’s not supported doesn’t mean it won’t play.  It’s just means that we won’t do anything about it if it doesn’t play.  If it does play then great!  We had this kind of issue with certain video containers and codecs.  They played, but we didn’t support them.  It’s been hard enough making sure the file formats we do support play or don’t get broken.

1 Like