After this morning's software update, My Book no longer works

My Book was running just fine all this time until this morning’s update. Now I cannot access the drive through the icon on the task bar. It is still there but does not respond to mouse clicks. Loading the software through the Start prosess loads the software but it will not run the back up. How can I roll the software back to before this update?

Hi and welcome John, are you refering to the Smartware 2.4.0 update? 

I uninstalled the WD software and rebooted my computer. When I plugged the drive into my computer, the drive could not be recognized. After 20 minutes of that nonsense, I unplugged the drive. I suspect my 9 month old My Book is dead.

You can check if the My Book is recognized on the Disk Management window, you can also try using a different USB cable to connect the My Book. 

How to access Disk Management in Windows XP, Vista, 7 or 8 to manage hard drives 

If the problem continues, I recommend you to create an RMA to replace it, you can also contact support and they can create the RMA for you.

How to get an RMA, (Return Merchandise Authorization) or replace a defective product under warranty 

http://support.wd.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en