Additional Drives for WD Sharespace 4TB

Hi Everyone

I have a WD Sharespace 4TB unit and it came installed with 2x 1TB WD10EAVS-00D7B0 drives. I want to add two more to the unit but I cannot find them on the WD Store or any local store. I contacted WD Support for an alternative and they told me use their authorized online reseller but they didn’t furnish me any website details. Therefore, I wanted to know on where I can purchase the above drive model  (online preferably) or suggest alternatives? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Regards

ABC_1977

Hi ABC_1977,

I’m sorry for not answering your questions, but I wanted to ask you a question related to what you wrote. Did you purchase a 4TB unit, but it only came installed with 2 x 1 TB drives? I’m about to purchase the WD ShareSpace 4TB and I’m trying to figure out if it comes with 4 x 1 TB drives or 2 x 2 TB drives. The latter would be perfect.

I hope you or someone else can help me with this, and that you get the help you need as well.

Cheers

Hi Chreriksen

When i purchased the 4TB Sharespace, it came installed with 2x 1TB drives. Not sure if it supports 2x 2TB.

ABC_1977 wrote:
Hi Chreriksen

When i purchased the 4TB Sharespace, it came installed with 2x 1TB drives. Not sure if it supports 2x 2TB.

Dude, you got scammed. 4TB SS comes with 4x 1TB drives. And it takes 2TB drives because you can max it to 8TB replacing the original 1TB drives.

So your saying that I could max out my Sharespace 4TB to 8TB by adding 2TB HDD each in the 4 slots? I was under the impression that it was only designed to handle unto a capacity of 4TB. I’m assuming that this configuration has worked with your unit and would like to max out my unit.

Cheers

WD sells the SS as user-servicesable and user-upgradable, you can max out the SS by inserting a 2TB drive along with the the other 3 1TB drives to allow a rebuild, then replace the other 3 1TB drives. Just make sure the drives (EADS or EARS) are the exact same, including the revision.

1 Like

If you find EADS WD drives you are in the money (can’t find them anywhere) but as I understand if you ensure that all the drives are the same i.e. EARS WD drives you can expand to 8TB.