Adding RAM on a Sentinel DX4000

Hi,

I am having the Sentinel DX4000 model WDBLGT0120KBK.  Would like to know which memory stick is compatible.  How many slot.  What is the maximum memory size that can handle that server.  Thanks

why do you want to add ram?

I had the same question, I’m hitting 75& - 80% of the 2GB of memory as a file server and a low traffic internal WAMP server. This is the response from WD:

"Unfortunately it is not possible for the memory of the Sentinel to be increased. There’s no physical way to modify the amount nor it would be something that we would recommend for anyone to tamper with. I realize that this might present an issue for you, and for that I deeply apologize.

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,

*****************"

I’m hitting 75& - 80% of the 2GB of memory as a file server and a low traffic.  Prefer to use in average 50% of RAM to help the server

Thanks for your reply

I tried to use an usb stick to define it as a readyboost device like I can do with Win7.  But it seams that this feature is not available through Server 2008 R2. 

Really to bad we cannot increase RAM.  I am sure the server could react faster.

You inspired me to do a little bit more digging, and found this article.

http://www.storagereview.com/western_digital_sentinel_dx4000_review

Says you can technically upgrade to 4GB.

Big thanks for this info.  It is too bad that western digital does not mention the number of **bleep** and what is the maximum RAM supported.  As RAM could be bought for very low price.

Has anyone tried upgrading it yet?  I’m of the firm opinion that no computer of any kind ever comes with enough RAM.  What speed of DDR3 will it handle?

I just upgraded the ram in my DX to 4gb of PNY brand DDR3 memory from bestbuy.  It’s working really well and I can tell a pretty significant difference in performance.  I tried 8gb but that didn’t get past the startup.  this is the ram i bought:  PNY Ram

Well YEA !!  (Amazon has it for $20 )

Now we wait for the YouTube to show us how to put ram in :slight_smile:

lol gramps!

Thanks for trying this out and posting the results.  I’m going to order some memory and do the same.  The Sentinel is a nice system however it does seem to struggle under heavier workloads - the RAM will hopefully alleviate the memory → disk swapping.

FYI - I looked up the Intel Atom D525 processor and it supports max 4GB RAM.

http://ark.intel.com/products/49490?wapkw=intel+atom+d525+

I successfully updated the WD Sentinel to 4GB RAM.  I purchased the memory off of ebay. After doing some research I found this is the supported type of memory. I am unsure if other ram will work but my Sentinel booted right up with this installed and seems to run better.

4GB MEMORY 512X64 PC3-6400 800MHZ 1.5V DDR3 204 PIN SO DIMM

It seemed a little hard to find in a 4GB stick which is why I resorted to ebay.  Opening the device wasn’t to difficult.  Just a few screws.  Be careful when removing the board though there is a ribbon cable on the under side and some sort of PCI like board for the vertical sata ports.

1 Like

I also did the upgrade. I ordered this Kingston 4GB module from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002XN3OL4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

So far it is working well and the device does seem to be performing better - especially during bottleneck times like PC backups.

Just done the modification

Removed the external cover (5 screws at back)

Removed the disk drives (making note of which order they were in!), 

Very carefully removed the screws other than 2 (which i loosened) which hold the backplane in

Slid the backplan down a little so it was disconnected from the main board

Undid the 6 screws that hold the main board

Carefully withdrew it from the chassis and then flipped it 180 degrees towards the front of the unit (removing the power cable under neath as it did it.

I rested it on a bit of cardboard whilst removing the memory

I used Crucial CT51264BC1339 - 4GB DDR3-1333 (PC3 10600) SODIMM 204 PIN

I upgraded the RAM in my unit before I initially set it up and it works just fine. I just used the standard DDR3 laptop RAM I had available for laptop upgrades around the office, nothing special.

Just so you guys know, you are voiding your warranties by modifying your devices.

does this include voiding the drives warranty?

I can understand taking a risk to open the system and finagling with things potentially causing problems and voiding the warranty…

tswalker wrote:

does this include voiding the drives warranty?

I can understand taking a risk to open the system and finagling with things potentially causing problems and voiding the warranty…

Sorry, for taking so long getting back to you.  I doubt that it would hurt the drives’ warranties.

1 Like