Acronis TI WD Edition clones OK but Win 7 broken after boot

Hi,

My sister has a Sony VAIO VPCF115FM laptop with a Seagate Momentus 5400.6 SATA 3Gb/s 500 GB ST9500325AS hard drive and Windows 7. I was going to replace the hard drive with a WD Scorpio Black WD5000BPKT. The Seagate drive has been acting up and caused a blue screen error once. I put the WD drive in an external enclosure and connected it to the laptop through eSATA. I cloned the Seagate drive to the WD drive using Acronis True Image WD Edition (it’s free and takes in to consideration the Advanced Format Drive) and everything seemed to copy over OK. However, after I removed the Seagate drive and replaced it with the WD drive the problems began.

Windows started up normally, found a driver for the WD hard drive, then insisted on a reboot. After the reboot the UAC was acting up. Note: I did not change any UAC settings. Now all Microsoft programs that were previously cleared and didn’t prompt for allowing changes- now they prompt to allow. For example: right-click Computer and select Manage. Previously it would open the next window without any prompts from UAC to allow and it showed the publisher as being Microsoft. Now UAC prompts to allow changes and it shows the publisher as Unknown. Everything in the Control Panel with the little UAC shield by its link now prompts to allow access when previously it didn’t. I could switch off UAC all together but I’d rather not. Doing that would only cover up the problem and this is my sister’s laptop.

Some services aren’t working properly. Windows Update no longer works. If I click on Check For Updates it just shows a red shield with an X on it and states that the Windows Update Service isn’t active or working or something like that and suggests a reboot. A reboot doesn’t fix it. Also, in Event Viewer I’m seeing errors stating that the Search service failed to start. I am guessing there are other problems that I haven’t discovered yet.

I ran chkdsk /r on the new WD drive in an administrative command prompt. Rebooted the laptop to let it do its thing. It reported no errors. I ran sfc /scannow. It reported the following: Verification 100% complete. Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. I opened the log file. It’s too big to post here. I rebooted the computer after running sfc /scannow but UAC and Windows Update are still not working right.

It seems to be that something isn’t working right in 7 as a result of Windows being cloned and moved to a different hard drive. I’ve tried using Acronis True Image WD Edition and the native built-in Win 7 drive imaging software to copy the Seagate drive. Both ways gave the same result.

Any ideas as to what I’ve done wrong? Should I find a program that will do a sector to sector clone and then run the WD allignment tool separately? I’m stumped here. Seems people have been cloning hard drives with Windows 7 on it and having no problems yet no matter what I try I can’t get things to work right.

When you ran the Acronis did you run from the Rescue CD? It loads a small Linux app so Windows isn’t actually running. Did you try making an image with Acronis instead of clone? Look close at post 11 by Grover http://forum.acronis.com/forum/3355. Did you look on the Acronis forum? There is a lot there.

Joe

Actually I ran it like running chkdsk /r. I set up the process and then Acronis schedules the cloning to happen after a reboot- the cloning process runs at the moment that Windows is starting. No rescue cd was involved. However, after looking at the Acronis software again I see the option to make a bootable cd. I’ll give that a try.

edit- The strange thing is that everything seems to clone OK. Windows will boot up fine. However, after booting I always discover that certain services aren’t running like they should be. Windows Update, Defender, and Search.

This is a known problem following disk cloning.  

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-windows_update/windows-7-windows-update-broken-after-disk-clone/586da306-3cdc-4f32-acfc-61c3b140e11e?page=1

The solution is convoluted and impenetrable to average users.  It seem possible that the issue is related to Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver, in which case an update might be helpful.

I am stuck here as well.  250 Gb WD blue 2.5" from a Sony VGN-NS325J to a new 500 Gb WD black 2.5".  Clone appears perfect, but Windows Update, Windows Live and Indexing fail to operate.

Anyone have a definitive solution, even if it means reimaging with different parameters?  Thanks!