Acronis doesn't find WD Ex2 Ultra

I just set up a new WD Ex2 Ultra today from my Mac without any difficulty. The Mac can access it just fine.

It took quite a bit of effort, but I managed to get the Windows 11 machine to map a share area to Z:\ (see image).

Then I installed the recommended version of Acronis, but when I ran it, it claimed that there was no WD drive connected to the system?

What am I missing?

WD Support has the following Knowledge Base Article that has some suggestions.

Acronis True Image for Western Digital Does Not See My Drive
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15481

More Knowledge Base articles on Acronis can be found at the following link.

Acronis True Image for Western Digital Online User Guide and Solutions
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9521

I’ve just spent a half a day trying everything in those documents and those they are linked to; much of it going around in circles.Some of the advice is unworkable, such as checking the version number of the software in the menu, given that I can’t get that far!

Here’s what I have now. The root issue I get from all those “help” files is that it thinks the drive is not connected, which it clearly is, in two ways. I thought maybe I had to give it access to the drive root but apparently I can’t do that, only to a share.

Generally in Windows one may need to enable SMB1.0 and set the Network Profile to Private not Public. One may also need to access the My Cloud > Settings > Windows Services and set the SMB Protocol to include SMB1.0.

My Cloud OS 5: Change Windows Samba (SMB) Protocol Version
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29958

Hmmm. That doesn’t make a lot of sense to me: the protocol is disabled for safety reasons; reenabling seems a bacjward step. Second WD says the drive should be set to SMB 2 or 3. Third, I can access the drive just fine. It’s Acronis having the issue… perhaps it hasn’t been upgraded to the current stand of things….

I have been keeping that in the back of my mind, though. But as a last resort.

Thanks for the suggestions, though.

I guess I could try it to see in order to eliminate it or confirm, as the case may be….

Yes it’s a backward step if one is security focused but it’s the nature of the beast with respect to the My Cloud.

Another troubleshooting steps to look at. Disable any third party security software as a troubleshooting step. Could be McAfee and other programs somehow interfere with Acronis or with the computer’s ability to properly access the My Cloud.

Well…the whole point of backups is security after all…

But I will try both suggestions as soon as I can. Thanks again.

Looking back at your screen capture for Windows 11 above. Does the My Cloud show up device if you select /expand “Network” in Windows File Explorer. Not the mapped Shares, but an icon for the My Cloud itself?

Ok, so SMB 1 enabled in Windows and on the WD made no difference, nor did disabling McAfee.

As for your question below, the answer, oddly, is ‘sometimes’. At the moment it is visible, though I have noticed before that this is not always the case, and I can’t for the life of me figure out why (and Acronis still doesn’t find it, btw):

B02ED9CA36744BB2BD8636935B702C96.png

Strange, only the desktop shows up under the left hand pane under Network but not the My Cloud. Nor does it show up under Computer in the right hand pane. Acronis has their own support page (if you haven’t seen it yet) on an NAS not showing up.

https://kb.acronis.com/content/57992

They make mention of Acronis using Apple`s Bonjour service for Windows as their method of automatic detection of NAS devices and give a series of steps to install it.

Edit to add: Some discussion on True Image and Windows 11 in Acronis’s support forums.

https://forum.acronis.com/forum/acronis-true-image-2020-forum/acronis-true-image-2020-support-under-windows-11

Also, Windows 11 is not listed by WD as being a supported OS for the Acronis True Image for Western Digital.

Supported Operating Systems
  • Windows 10 (most editions, including October 2020 Update, except for Windows IoT editions, Windows Embedded, Windows 10 LTSB, and Windows 10 LTSC)
  • Windows 8.1 (except for Windows Embedded editions)
  • Windows 8 (except for Windows Embedded editions)
  • Windows 7 SP1 (all editions)
  • Windows Home Server 2011

Thanks I saw some of those. I also saw things saying the WD wouldn’t show in those locations I believe (read so much now hard to keep it all straight).

I saw the W11 disclaimer. I suspect that at the end of the day that will be the issue.

I did join the Acronis user community forum and looking for help there.

I can’t get official tech support because the product isn’t registered; it can’t be registered until I get past that screen… catch-22!!

Well at least the Windows 7 backup is working, archaic as it is….

their user group is very good
I have not tried windows 11 but windows 10 and Kaspersky work together.

you still have Acronis 2021 you can try and their latest renamed product
Acronis Cyber Protect Home Office, formerly True Image

Which I do have but not installed – Acronis is now a yearly fee with auto charge

I have use Acronis for over 10 years on many WD cloud and NAS units.

the Added Acronis active protection software (ransomware and such ) had too many background tasks.

Thanks, I posted there. No responses.

An earlier post when W11 was in Beta said that they didn’t support it due to Beta status. I suspect that never changed…

Not a really a fan of subscription services (I can charge a purchase cost to the university then I’m done; subscription will come out of my pocket in a few years) but I’ll think on it….

Looking at Backupper at the moment, not sure whether that will fit the need, having a C and D drive seems a real issue!!

Has someone figured this out? I have the exact same issue. also tried all the suggestions in this forum, but can’t get it wor recognize my drive. Very frustrating. Buying a $500 backup piece of hardware and can’t install a software that is supposed to work with it ! thanks for your help.

I tried that already long ago, made no difference.

I finally gave up on this. Tried on everyttin both firuns and concluded there is no interest in supporting the promised free software since rhey now have a subscription model. Dishonest advertising in my view.

Ive also canvassed professionals I know and got three types if resoonses: a) I don’t do backups (amazingly pretty common), b) i just use a timed copy command (so you only end up with the latest version; not great), c) enable the system for rsynch.

For now I’m using the long outdated internal Windows backup routine.

Please ignore my other post, accidentally responded to an old suggestion.

Another WD Knowledge Base article with some suggestions:

Acronis True Image for Western Digital Product Activation Required
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/31822

And from Acronis:

69259: Windows 11 support in Acronis products
https://kb.acronis.com/content/69259

Acronis True Image 2021 and the earlier versions are not going to have official support of Windows 11, even though we have not heard of any significant compatibility issue. You may use Acronis True Image of any version on Windows 11 at your own risk.

Thank-you. But I have tried all these things and these knowledge articles lead in circles. It’s frankly like chasing one’s tail.

As for not hearing of a compatibility issue, it’s because they’re not listening. I have posted on their site as well, to no avail.

I cannot afford to continue to spend days running in circles. Perhaps after end of term when I have fewer timed commitments I can look at this again with fresh eyes.

I do appreciate your efforts, however.