Acronis 2016 can't do 4TB?

I’m trying to clone a 2TB drive to a new WD 4TB drive. Every time I use the Acronis software, it will only copy the 2TB, leaving 2TB as unallocated. Even when I try manual, it says that it will leave the drive MBR and not let me make it any bigger. I’ve used Windows to change the drive to GPT, but Acronis still says it will “leave” the drive as MBR.

Is this a 2016 limitation? This page (Manually Clone a Disk with Acronis True Image for Western Digital) has instructions for using version 18xxxx but the download page only has 2016. Not sure if those numbers are supposed to match up.

But clearly the utility should support drives bigger than 2TB.

Hello, snowdog850

Well, you are cloning the drive that means it will clone the lower-capacity drive volume to the higher capacity rest of the capacity will be unallocated on the higher capacity drive, You can manually allocate the drive using disk management or any other tool.

Right, but the software actually says that if the new hard drive is bigger, it will proportionally increase the partitions to fill it. Which is exactly what I want. But it’s not doing it.

I try to manually allocate the drive after the cloning, but Windows won’t do it and every other program I’ve found will not do it from the free version. So it’s another $50 I’d have to spend, when one of the reasons I got this hard drive was that Acronis came with it and was supposed to do what I want.