Accidentally put my wd my book on top of speakers

i just moved to new house and i realize my mom accidentally pack my external drive (wd my book 4tb) on top of my studio monitor speakers (yamaha hs5) the speakers are magnetically unshielded and its been on top of the 2 speakers for 11 days , do strong magnet like this speakers will affect the hard drive lifespan ? data ? or mess something inside the drive? how do i make sure everything is fine? is there a software to check it?

thanks in advance

It is unlikely that the unshielded speakers will have damaged your external drive. Most external drives are well-shielded against magnets, and even if the speakers were strong enough to interfere with the drive, it would likely take several hours or more of exposure to cause any damage.

To be sure, you can connect the drive to your computer and run a diagnostic test. There are many free and paid diagnostic tools available, such as CrystalDiskInfo and Hard Disk Sentinel. These tools will scan your drive for errors and report its health.

thanks for insight, the speakers itself its quite big (bookshelf speakers) what worries me is the size of the woofer magnet which magnetically unshielded , my external drive wd my book sit exactly on top of 2 speakers in one package for 11 days during shipping and moving to new house which quite long time they close each other together and unfortunately my new house electricity still in progress which i can’t plugging anything for couple of weeks so i probably only can test the drive later , if the drive detected by windows does that mean it is not damaged?

The inside of 3.5" Hard Drives actually contain Magnets :wink:

They conatin Earth Magnets (Neodymium) which are far stronger (2 to 7 times) than the Ferrite Magnets found in your monitor speakers and subwoofer.

Google “hard drive earth magnets” for lots of pictures and videos

And don’t be fooled by their small size … Earth Magnets are much stronger than Ferrite Magnets 10 times their size.

I encountered a situation that has left me concerned about the potential impact on my WD My Book 4TB external drive. During a move to a new house, my mom accidentally packed the external drive on top of my Yamaha HS5 studio monitor speakers. As the speakers are magnetically unshielded, the external drive has been in close proximity to the speakers for approximately 11 days. I’m now seeking advice and dmvfoam guidance from the community to address any potential risks and ensure the integrity of my external drive.