Accidental deletion of Share, how to recover directories and files

Hi,

I recently upgraded my My Cloud PR2100 to OS 5 from OS3. The system took more than 72 hours to index and then another day to generating previews, I thought deleting some shares would free up some space and get the process going fast. I also foolishly thought that deleting the share will just delete the sharing of the path and not the underlying directories and files. So I deleting a bunch of Shares. Now I cannot see the directories or files.

Wondering if there is any way to recover the data that I lost while deleting the shares! Appreciate any help.

As expected, got the stock answer from WD support to try to recover data from their partners…

I wrote to them this way…

"Hope WD updates the Web interface software to clearly mention that underlying data along with directories, sub-directories, files etc are all going to be deleted instead of just unsharing the drive!

The English meaning of “delete share” is that you are trying not to share whatever you have decided to share earlier and not wiping out the data completely. I lost 5 TB of personal data and due to which you have lost a customer for life!!! Will never ever buy a WD product…"

Unfortunately this poor design choice continues from OS3, there isn’t even a confirmation on deleting a share with data, leave alone a full-on warning about data getting deleted. @WDStaff maybe you can pass this on to engineering team, a confirmation dialog explaining that deleting share will delete data as well?