Accessing own mapped drive contents from Windows 7

Windows 7 User - I have turned turned off ‘Public access’ but given full ‘User access’ to myself and another home User. When I then go to my Windows Expolore > Computer > “My mapped MyCloud drive location” I am unable to acess my contents and there is a red ‘X’ against the mapped location. Please can somebody advise how I can enable access to my ‘MyCloud’ contents via Windows Explorer without giving access to all home Users? Many Thanks  

Dummy2 wrote:

there is a red ‘X’ against the mapped location. Please can somebody advise how I can enable access to my ‘MyCloud’ contents via Windows Explorer without giving access to all home Users? Many Thanks  

Double click it and enter the assigned credentials.

Would you please carify what you mean by credentials and is this a one off activity? Many thanks

Dummy2 wrote:

Would you please carify what you mean by credentials and is this a one off activity? Many thanks

Credentials:  User ID and Password you assigned to the user(s) that have access to the share.

No, it’s not a one-off— you’ll need to provide them every time you connect to the share.

Is there any other way as all I want to do is to provide myself with acess to additional storage. As I have already logged on as a User to my computer with a password having to enter another pasword for access to this additional storage is a bit of a pain and not ideal. I can understand it for another Home User wanting access to my contents.

The your user id and password need to match between what you’re using for your desktop account and my cloud account.

Dummy2 wrote:

Windows 7 User - I have turned turned off ‘Public access’ but given full ‘User access’ to myself and another home User. When I then go to my Windows Expolore > Computer > “My mapped MyCloud drive location” I am unable to acess my contents and there is a red ‘X’ against the mapped location. Please can somebody advise how I can enable access to my ‘MyCloud’ contents via Windows Explorer without giving access to all home Users? Many Thanks  

Remove the mapped drive and then remap it if your having problems with it. When you remap it, it should ask for a user name and password. You use the user name and password you setup in the WD My Cloud. Selecting the “Reconnect a login” will attempt to mount the drive each time the PC is booted. Selecting the “Connect using different credentials” option will give you the option of selecting “Remember my credentials” which should allow one to access the private shared folders without reentering the user name and password each time provided the user has been granted permission to access the private share through the WD My Cloud Dashboard user interface.

Also note that sometimes Windows indicates that a mapped drive is not connected via the red “X” on the mapped drive icon. Usually just clicking on the mapped drive is enough to kick it back into a connected state.

The your user id and password need to match between what you’re using for your desktop account and my cloud account.

Are you sure?

Having moved my media out of my Public share to a ‘Media’ share, I’m struggling to get access to it unless I give it public access rights.

On the other hand, I have managed to map to another Private share (my user share), and, having given my credentials once, it automatically maps that share every reboot of the PC. The username and password for PC and MyCloud are not the same.

Now, if only I could get the Media share to do that…

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Not necessarily. Generally you can, with Windows 7, use different logins (username/password) for logging into Windows and logging into a WD My Cloud Shared folder (or into the Dashboard). Where there is potential for problems is trying to use more than one WD My Cloud User name and passwords to access multiple different Shared folders on the Wd My Cloud. Windows 7 (at least in my experience) has trouble if I use more than one WD My Cloud User name account to access the shared content. Currently I have no problems on Windows 7 using different passwords for Windows OS and for the WD My Cloud. There is apparently some sort of Windows 7 OS limitation to a single client credential login when it comes to network client logins on local netowrk hardware/devices.

Using the same login information for both the Windows OS and the WD My Cloud may help in that one only has to remember one set of credentials and Windows only needs to supply one set of credentials when accessing private content on the WD My Cloud.

He says he doesn’t want to be asked for user and password since he’s already logging into the PC.  The only way to do tha is using matched credentials.  Otherwise windows will prompt for the cloud credentials every time the account is first accessed.  Windows will only memorize it for as long as the user is logged into windows.

there may be some way of doing it through the credentials manager in windows, but I’ve never tried that…

The way to do it is when mapping the drive in Windows 7 is to select both “Reconnect at logon” and “Connect using different credentials”:

Then, after putting in the user name and password, select “remember my credentials”.

That should allow access to the mapped drive every time without the need to reenter the credentials.

Or as you mentioned use the Windows Credentials Manager to add the credentials into the Windows Credentials section.

1 Like

Many thanks for all of the guidance. I have now successfully setup 2 Users on one laptop and one User on another laptop. The screen shots as shown above were a great help. Initially I did made the mistake of not using my User Name and Password for mapping of the drives for all three Users.