Access to Time Machine

We have a device which several people are using, but only one has a Mac.

This person wants to use the Time Machine functionality to back up their Mac, however, this person is not
currently the admin for the device and is not a suitable person to make the admin.

It seems as though the Time Machine folder is always accessible to the admin, though it can’t be seen by
any user through the browser and only in the app by the admin(?). The Mac-owner is keen to maintain
the privacy of their stuff but it seems that the admin will always be able to see the contents of the Time Machine folder if it is used.

So, my question is:

Is there any way to password protect the Time Machine folder (like a private share) so that only the Mac-owner can see the contents?

Thanks

J

Have you tried configuring the Time Machine Share for Private through the My Cloud Dashboard? Have you read the Dashboard Help or the My Cloud User Manual (https://support.wdc.com/product.aspx?ID=904) to learn about Users, Shares and how to password protect Shares?

Thanks for your reply.

That would work I guess for access by others, but the admin is still going to be able to see the contents if he wished in the Dashboard?

One doesn’t use the Dashboard to see the contents of Shares. The Dashboard is used to configure the My Cloud features/settings. One would use Windows File Explorer, Mac Finder, MyCloud.com, WD software/mobile apps and other software to see the contents of a My Cloud Share.

You can, using the Dashboard, configure a Private Share to limit or deny access to users including the administrator account. Once set to Private one can select which users have No Access permission. Of course the administrator could always go back in and change the user permissions to a Share to grant their user account access to that Share.

This is why he is called an admin, the most powerful being :smile:

But you can encrypt and set password for the backup. Only the MAC machine can decrypt/encrypt the backup.

It will also ask for password. make sure it is not crackable. Be warned, depending on data, first time encryption may take a long long time, could be a day or so. Again depending on how much data it could be hours.

If you forget your password, bad luck :grin:

goto System Preferences, then click on the Time Machine icon.

Select Disk and select WDMycloud.

Check the box next to “Encrypt backup disk” and click the Use Backup Disk button.

Type in a password of your choice. Make sure it’s difficult for others to crack.

DANGER: DO NOT INTERRUPT OR DISCONNECT YOUR MAC UNTIL IT IS FINISHED. THIS OPERATION IS UNINTERRUPTIBLE.

BEFORE YOU START PLEASE READ AND UNDERSTAND THIS: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25615?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US