Access to My Cloud Home remotely via My Home Wifi Router VPN

Hi All,

Since the Desktop app has be disabled by WD and now the MCH can become accessible on the local network, I am thinking if I am able to set up a VPN with my home Wifi router and access my MCH remotely. I have been trying but could not see the MCH (however, I can see it when I am at home). I am able to ping the device but just that I cannot see it under my “Network” on my MacBook Pro. I am not good at network technologies. Hope I could get some help here. That would greatly help to continue the life of this device. Thanks!

Hi @pallam,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

• MCH is running its own VPN and the OS is closed to user programming.
    • Perhaps 75% of home users around the world are behind CGNAT.

If you study VPN and network tunnels long enough and understand their limitations then you may be able to find a compatible VPN and manually install it and other services such as VPS that may work with your MCH.

Or you can just search this MCH subforum about network layering tools such as Tailscale, many of those threads already extensively detailed how it is done for free.