Access nil

I have local access on my imac, the one I used to set ip to static.
I didn’t assign a new ip address, should I have ? I’m a novice at the workings of a pc… Nowhere does it tell me to do that, or nowhere that I saw.
I have absolutely no access from any other pc or tablet.
Turned it on and off and done 40second resets until the buttons are worn out…
Port forwarding explanation left a lot to be desired, I think I did it, but uncertain, actually probably not. Again the instructions were vague, they seem to think that a new born baby understands the theory of relativity ! If you were a scientist or a doctor and I told you to get a Torx bit and remove the caliper from the OSF wheel, would you know what to do, or get a screwdriver and rewire an entire house, each to there own, because I don’t understand what they are talking about, doesn’t mean I shouldn’t have one, just like the doctor drives a car and the scientist has lights in his house. Some people need better instructions than what is given. Thnx Normski

Often times that is what Google or other Internet search engines are for.

Do an internet search for your router model + the words “port forwarding” and I’ll bet you get numerous hits that detail how to configure port forwarding within your router. Same goes for searching for your router model + assign static IP. The My Cloud User Manual (http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/?id=439&type=25) gives general directions on how to configure the My Cloud for a static IP and to setup manual ports both of which are covered in Chapter 9.

Just gone to my router & port forwarding, I might as well go to the hospital and perform brain surgery with a Haynes manual…
It means nothing to me and I suspect it will make matters worse, why won’t the dam thing work straight out of the box as promised, I shouldn’t need a degree in techy to plug and play ! Let’s wait and see what my sys report to Wd comes back with, Thnx for your help, I think I am in way over my head and gonna end up throwing it in the bin…

You could enable UPnP on your router, and select ‘automatic’ port setup to allow the MyCloud to set up the router for you.

The router isn’t in your mycloud’s box… But router configuration is essential for cloud access. So you need to understand your router.

Yes, the ‘easy 1-2-3 setup’ is nonsense, but you’re trying to use something that is pretty complex. Some learning is inevitable.

The continuing story…
Still very erratic operation, sometimes I can log on, sometimes I can’t. WD help desk have given me useless information, all they know is copy and paste from a script they have.
I suggested transferring all the files to another hdd and doing a full factory restore. Completely remove all files and rebuild it.
They thought that might be a good idea !
However I cannot transfer the files any which way.
Have tried plugging HDD int back of wdmc (which stands for western digital major ■■■■)
have tried plugging HDD into imac
Tried plugging it into lap top, tried plugging it into Windoze PC
Have even tried 3 different HDD’s
Everytime it gets so far and just stops, attached is my latest attempt

So now all the videos music and pictures ( I am a photographer ) are stuck on this piece of junk ! I can take pictures off one at a time to work on, but cannot download a full folder.
Fortunately this is only a back up of photos, but the music and videos I have moved across and looking like I am going to lose them…
No reply from wd today, lost my patience and went a little ott with them.
Looks like I am going to have to cut my losses, accept that all my music is gone, (hopefully can re download from itunes) but all my videos are gone forever.
Wonder if they’ll honour the warranty if I open it up and take the hdd out to copy all the folders without there software ?
Something else I have noticed and told wd is that half way through watching a film it just shoots off screen. Just shuts down mid flow… It has to be faulty, but wd won’t admit it,

Still having problems, Have sent the latest logs to WD for them to chew over !
So now I am downloading 5000 albums, one at a time from the wdmc to my imac, then from there to an external hdd. Slow and laborious but it is working… slowly…
My pictures are already backed up somewhere else, the wdmc was a second back up for these and to free up space on the imac for WIP.
I’m probably going to lose a fair chunk of info but am now resigned to that, tonight I should be ready to do a full factory restore.
Will keep the back up of everything that I manage to save from the wdmc before I start reloading it. Thing is what will be the point in having it if I have two other backups. OK I can access them remotely, but that wasn’t the reason for getting the wdmc in the first place, I can do that in house on the network. Anything else I need can be put in google cloud or dropbox and accessed remotely… Wish I’d never bothered, if time really was money they would owe me a fortune by now for all the man hours I have spent on the stupid thing,
Normski