AC3 5.1 Channel Audio Playback

I have the following setup:

1. LG 55LM7600 TV

2. WD TV Live SMP

3. Sony BDV-N790W HTiB

TV & HT are connected to each other using HDMI (ARC) and the WD SMP is commected to the HT using HDMI (1.4) cable. Most of my videos are .MKV with AC3 5.1 Ch, decoded using Handbrake.

Per the HT operating instructions, it supports LMCM 5.1 Ch over HDMI, but when when I check the display, it states LPCM 2.0 Ch.

Does the WD SMP pass 5.1 Ch over HDMI? What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance!

LPCM and AC3 are not the same thing.

The SMP will pass PCM audio for formats that it decodes to STEREO, if the upstream device tells the WD that it does NOT support the native format.

As far as I know, the WD will not convert AC3 5.1 to LPCM 5.1…  but I’m not sure about that.

When you go into the SMP’s AUDIO settings, do you have it set for Digital Passthrough via HDMI?

When you select that option, you’re given the choice of AUTO DETECT or MANUAL.

If you select AUTO, does it say that Dolby Digital is supported?

I know that I set HDMI Passthrough via HDMI to AUTO. I have to check after I get home if it states that Dolby Digital is supported.

Not sure if this is of any help, but I am using AAC (faac) codec and Dolby Pro Logic II for mixdown.

martiansoldier wrote:

I know that I set HDMI Passthrough via HDMI to AUTO. I have to check after I get home if it states that Dolby Digital is supported.

Not sure if this is of any help, but I am using AAC (faac) codec and Dolby Pro Logic II for mixdown.

If that’s what you’re doing in Handbrake, then there is no longer any trace of AC3.

If you told Handbrake to decode to AAC/DPL, that’s what it did…  Thus the WD is going to decode the AAC and send LPCM2.0, not AC3 5.1 or LPCM5.1. 

TonyPh12345, perhaps that is the answer. I am going to try ripping a couple of DVD’s using Handbrake AC3 and try it.

Over the weekend, I also checked all my WDTV audio output settings and it is set to Digital Passthrough via HDMI. It is also set to Auto and Dolby Digital, DTS and PCM are supported with 6 channel and sample rates of 32, 44,48, 88 & 96.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

If that’s what you’re doing in Handbrake, then there is no longer any trace of AC3.

If you told Handbrake to decode to AAC/DPL, that’s what it did…  Thus the WD is going to decode the AAC and send LPCM2.0, not AC3 5.1 or LPCM5.1. 

Okay, just as I thought that I had found the solution, it doesn’t seem to be the case. Ripped (4) different DVD’s using the universal settings on Handbrake, 1st track with AAC/DPL II & 2nd track with 5.1 AC3 passthru. I played them all last night and still only get 2.0 on both tracks. AAC is displayed as 2.0 Ch LPCM and AC3 passthru is desplayed as 2.0 Ch Dolby Digital. I checked WDTV audio output settings and they are set to HDMI/Auto, with 6 channel for Dolby Digital, DTS & PCM. I went back and checked out the instruction manual for the Sony BDV-N790W and it supports LPCM 2CH, LPCM 5.1Ch and Dolby Digital. I am at a loss here.

Ok, let’s do this…

on your most recent Handbrake file, get the TEXT output of Media Info and paste it here.

You can download it here:

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Ok, let’s do this…

on your most recent Handbrake file, get the TEXT output of Media Info and paste it here.

You can download it here:

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net

Here you go:

General
Unique ID                                : 238575213522708241113308692253046285072 (0xB37BEA2E71F32CA5584D7C2B03812310)
Complete name                            : E:\XXXXXX.mkv
Format                                   : Matroska
Format version                           : Version 2
File size                                : 1.29 GiB
Duration                                 : 2h 6mn
Overall bit rate                         : 1 465 Kbps
Writing application                      : HandBrake 0.9.5
Writing library                          : libmkv 0.6.4.1

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : Baseline@L3.0
Format settings, CABAC                   : No
Format settings, ReFrames                : 2 frames
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Width                                    : 718 pixels
Height                                   : 360 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 2.35:1
Original display aspect ratio            : 2.35:1
Frame rate mode                          : Variable
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Writing library                          : x264 core 112
Encoding settings                        : cabac=0 / ref=2 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x1:0x111 / me=umh / subme=6 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=0 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=0 / weightp=0 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=22.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=3 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Language                                 : English
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No
Color primaries                          : BT.601 NTSC
Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.601

Audio #1
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : AC-3
Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension                           : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness              : Big
Codec ID                                 : A_AC3
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 448 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 6 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                                : 16 bits
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 404 MiB (31%)
Default                                  : Yes

Audio #2
ID                                       : 3
Format                                   : AAC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile                           : LC
Codec ID                                 : A_AAC
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L R
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Default                                  : No

Text
ID                                       : 4
Format                                   : VobSub
Codec ID                                 : S_VOBSUB
Codec ID/Info                            : The same subtitle format used on DVDs
Default                                  : No

Menu
00:00:00.000                             : Chapter 1
00:09:04.210                             : Chapter 2
00:17:58.577                             : Chapter 3
00:26:47.939                             : Chapter 4
00:34:59.931                             : Chapter 5
00:43:13.257                             : Chapter 6
00:52:36.486                             : Chapter 7
00:59:22.725                             : Chapter 8
01:07:30.441                             : Chapter 9
01:11:42.326                             : Chapter 10
01:18:29.233                             : Chapter 11
01:24:37.968                             : Chapter 12
01:34:58.087                             : Chapter 13
01:44:27.323                             : Chapter 14
01:53:29.314                             : Chapter 15

Well, that’s got me stumped!!

That looks like just about every MKV I’ve made with Handbrake – My AVR always reports DD 5.1 when playing them via Passthrough… 

Hmmm.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Well, that’s got me stumped!!

That looks like just about every MKV I’ve made with Handbrake – My AVR always reports DD 5.1 when playing them via Passthrough… 

Hmmm.

I’m close to concluding that Sony is falsly advertising that the BDV-N790W supports 5.1 over HDMI. I’ve contacted Sony and they are blaming my input file and suggest that I use simulated surround modes to fix the issue.

I noticed that the instruction manual lists Dolby Digital over HDMI 1 & 2 but they dop not list if it is DD 2.0 or 5.1. When I quizzed them about this, they assure me that the devise is DD 5.1 compatible over HDMI. So, I have no clue what is going on here.

Tonight I am going to try playing the same file over USB to see if that makes a difference and also play the original DVD again to see what that does. If I get 5.1 with these two options, it may very well be that I have faulty HDMI ports (but I can’t imagine that both would be bad) or this system just doesn’t support DD 5.1 over HDMI at all.

Another option I have in mind is, connecting another BD/DVD player to play the original DVD and send the signal over HDMI to the BDV-N790W to see if I can get DD 5.1 that way.

TonyPh, thank you for your time and suggestions. I shall update this thread with my findings.

heh…  I just started googling and found your Amazon review.

Glad you use a consistent name, or I would have pointed you to read your own review.  :)

TonyPh12345 wrote:

heh…  I just started googling and found your Amazon review.

Glad you use a consistent name, or I would have pointed you to read your own review.  :)

Haha…thanks for the help and guess what, I have finally figured it out!

I played the source DVD and it displayed DD 5.1Ch. Next, I played the ripped file via USB on the receiver and it displayed DD 5.1Ch. Then, I played the file from my NAS via the WDTV Live SMP and as it had been doing, it displayed DD 2.0Ch. I called Sony tech support and after being kicked around a couple of times with worthless responses, a guy from level 2 told me that I had to ship the whole system to their repair center. I agreed and hung up.

Still not satisfied, I disabled ‘Sound Mode’ on the Sony Receiver/BD player and played an AAC file and the output was only from the front speakers; display called out LPCM 2.0ch. Next I played a DD 5.1 file and output was clear 5.1 on all 6 speakers, but the display called out DD 2.0ch. I tested a few more files and same result. So, really the receiver is 5.1 capable over HDMI but it calls out the wrong output type on the display and the worthless Sony tech support blamed my source file for everything.

Something I should have done long before going through all the trouble, but better late than never. Now, I will not be sending my unit to the repair center, just have to re-rip all the videos that I had previously ripped with AAC audio.