Absurdly slow data transfer for itunes

Hello,

I bought the MyCloud to use as a music repository - ideally to be accessed by both iTunes and Sonos.

So far, it’s been a nightmare.

Trying to add music files is absurdly slow - I finally transferred my library (300GBs) by connecting both my Mac Pro and the MyCloud to the router and leaving it for a couple of days…

But now doing anything seems virtually impossible - I’ve been waiting an hour to add ten extra songs…

Even moving a folder from one part of the shared drive to another can take 2-3 hours.

I finally gave up on iTunes and tried to get my Sonos working - but gave up after 5 hours of ‘uploading music to library’ on the Sonos desktop controller…

I can hear the My Cloud is ‘in action’ - a noise that’s really beginning to grate on my nerves given the uselessness of it.

Diagnostics tell me that everything is working fine…no obvious firewalls or anything else slowing it up…

Any other advice?  About ready to box it up and send it back.

Am I doing something wrong?  Have I got a faulty device?  Or is it just a technology turd?

J

I’m guessing that WD moderators cannot tell you to SSH into the device to correct this anomaly, however if you don’t mind voiding your warranty and perhaps recovering your sanity, you can do the following

ssh into the device and type the following at the prompt

/etc/init.d/wdmcserverd stop

/etc/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd stop

This will stop the services that is taking up your sanity in using the cloud device. When you wish to resume the slow data transference and when you have finally filled up your drive with data, you can resume the two processes with 

/etc/init.d/wdmcserverd start

/etc/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd start

Stopping these services are only temporary as a reboot will resume the processes. If you wish to permanently disable these services, you can issue the following commands

update-rc.d wdphotodbmergerd disable

update-rc.d wdmcserverd disable

good luck… 

Hey - thanks for the response, but that’s way too technical for me.

I’m a total tech novice and I thought this thing was a plug and play solution.

I’m on a Mac Book Pro and this stupid WD My Cloud NEVER shuts up…clicking, whirring etc etc…

Seems to me that it’s totally useless.

Are there any simple steps I can take to speed it up?  I tried to follow your instructions on another post for ‘mapping the drive’ but it didn’t work…nothing appeared on my desktop from your instructions…

I’ve got all my data on there now but changing/adding/moving ANYTHING seems impossible…just tried to transfer ONE song to it - it’s been whirring away for an hour.

Tempted to smash it to pieces but will probably just send it back…completely unfit for purpose unless you’re some tech wizard that can hack into it and change everything??

Pathetic that noone from WD is dealing with all these speed complaints…

Any further (super simple) advice much appreciated!
thanks

J

Alright, let’s try this then… Turn off media sharing, turn off twinkly, iTunes server then let it calm down for a few minutes. Make sure you remove any attached USB drives and leave them off. You can connect them when everything seems to be calm.

If needed reboot from the web ui

Come back and tell me whether that worked or not