A Guide to Fixing Network Shares (THIS WORKS)

Computer 1 Win 7 pro 64bit. Wired

Computer 2 XP pro 32bit service pack 3 Wireless

WDTV Live Wireless

Belkin Wireless N+ router

Belkin Wireless N+ Adaptor

Network workgroup name = “WORKGROUP”

not using Homegroup features of windows 7

Advanced Sharing settings (Home or Work):

Network discovery:  On
File and printer sharing: On
Public folder sharing: On
Media streaming:
    Local network/All networks
    Media programs on this PC and remote network: Allowed
    WDTVLIVE: Allowed

File sharing connections: 128-bit encryption
Passwork protected sharing:  Off

There are no issues connecting to Win 7 or XP share folders from WDTV Live.

“I do not think this is entirely true. I am running Win7 Pro 64-bit and get the non-stop, impossible-to-remove “Invalid username or passwqord” when trying to log into my network shares (located on my desktop). I’ve tried so many tutorials and am on the 15th hour of getting this working correctly.”

If your share folders are on your desktop then they are inside your user account folder.  I believe you would have to set your user folder to share or nothing inside it can be shared.  I do not think you want to do that. Try taking the folder off the desktop and placing on the root of a drive.

“P.S. I have auto-login enabled on the WDTV Live but it still tell sme it’s incorrect. I’ve gone and cleared the login info every time before I go to login - still tell me invalid UN or PW.”

I had this issue when I was trying to assign a static IP to the WDTV Live.  Let your router assign the IP address for the WDTV Live if that is not the case.

My folder are on my secondary hard drive, IN A SHARED FOLDER named “videos.” I’ve double checked and the folder and everything in it is visible in my network.

I’m telling you this is FUBAR, I can’t find anybody else who’s having as much trouble as me. It’s REALLY TICKING ME OFF NOW!!!

I do have the WDTV Live set to automatic network configuration. I bet I have everything set the way you want it, but this f$*&@&r is still not working!

Thanks for the help, sorry if I sound grouchy. I’m pissed!

Alright, everyone who is pissed at Windows 7 and WDTV, I may have a solution, depending on what your needs/wants are. I have been experiencing a lot of the same issues as some of you (go back to page one of this thread), so based on the advice of allyismycopilot, researched and installed Playon ( www.playon.tv).

The site does not gurantee it works, but it DOES. Reference their internal forum site for WD to confirm, if you like. Playon is installed as a media server, identified by your PC. Assuming you followed ally’s directions on sharing (do as many steps as you are able), you will be able to locate your files and play them without issue. I am happy to say Netflix and Hulu also run as well; I have not tried any other features so far. I will say Playon needs a high amount of resources to stream vidoes (I’m running a 1.3ghz with 4 GB RAM, average to below average video card, Playon asked for a 2gz min). From what I can tell, how well Playon runs is mostly dependent on good your machine is.

I also visited one of their Script forums and installed the Adult Swim plugin, that works as well. I would advise one should have decent/working knowledge of PCs in regards installing the plugins, but anyone or who found this forum probably does, so…anyway, good luck!

Ok… I figured it out (atleast for me)… I am using Windows 7 home Premium and I was having the same problem whereI would see my computer on the network, but it always said my username/password was bad when I went to browse the shared folders…  But the way around it I found was to right click my “my videos” option and add more folders to it (namely the ones I wanted on the WD TV)…  Then in the shared options for that specific folder I turn on sharing for “everyone” to read write (not just the ones in homegroup)… Then all the files show up in the media server choice on my computer under my name… it works perfect…I have my sub catigories organized  with sub-folders… so I browse it by folders after that point… Hope this helps

1 Like

This worked perfect for me! Atleast now, 5 mins after testing it. Very very nice work!!! :slight_smile:

edit: A little bit too quick on the trigger. The network shares dont seem to work even though i used yout guide 100%. It seems like the WD TV has to be on for a couple of minutes before it detecs the shares. Very frustrating that this does not work as promised.

If not shares with windows 7, what am i supposed to use? Is it better to innstall xp as a virtual machine?

Im on cabled network with static ip all around, win 7 64 bit business.

Worked for me, I have 64 bit Windows Home Premium and did not perform the LOCAL SECURITY POLICY steps.

Works fine. Didnt even have to restart. Just cleared the username and password completely. (did not use ‘anonymous’)

Thanks!

-William

I followed these steps and my WD Live now works with Windows 7.  Before following these steps the folders I shared would show up under my PC, but I was told there wasn’t anything in them.  

I tried all the steps in the guide, to no avail.  Still got the dreaded logon failure.

I just called WD tech support.  After a little runaround about whether WD supported the live with Microsoft operating systems, he revealed the solution. 

Turn off  Window 7 Homegroup.  That’s it.  Control Panel/Network and Sharing Center/ Choose Homegroup and Sharing Options/“leave the homegroup”.  

I did this, and now “Media Servers / Streaming” now no longer works.  I don’t care, because you can’t play ripped VOBs from Streaming.  I can now access everything I want through Network Shares. 

Maybe sometime in the future WD will release a firmware upgrade that is compatible with Win 7 Homegroup.  That would be nice. 

But it sure was hard to find out about turning off the Homegroup feature.

By the way, it may still be necessary to make sure your workgroup is named “WORKGROUP”.  I’m not sure, as I already reverted to the “WORKGROUP” name.

Dave Straayer

Going to give it a shot.

But why didn’t they tell me that when I called this morning? Do they have a deal with Micrapsoft to only work with they NEW Windows7 feature?

Dante1

the new official firmware has finally fixed my network dropping issues!! THANK GOD!!

Igore all these ■■■■ guides in these forums of how to tinker with your PC. Should work out of the box. It does now finally ,with the new firmware update!

I had the same problem  with bad UN/PW when i wanted to access my network shares. Tried AVERYTHING suggested in this thread and then some, but still no access. Then i found another thread suggesting that i uninstalled Windows Live Sign-in Asssiatant and IT WOKED !!!

Regards

Erik

hello I thought my network sharing didn’t work with the new firmware, but after 15 minutes my folders share from seven appear on the WD. an other computer with xp, no probleme, always immediatly seen, I havn’t this probleme before ! Do you know why i must wait this long time ? TIA