720p mkv file on 1080i tv

I am planning on getting this product but I had a question; I am getting this mostly to watch dvds and mkv files that are on my PC. My older Mitsubishi projection TV – which will be connected through component since it has no HDMI – only does 480i/480p and 1080i (no 720P). So since mkvs are 720p, will the the WD TV Live upscale it, downscale it or just not show it at all? I called WD, but the support guy really didn’t seem too confident in his answer. thanks

I would assume both upscale or downscale depending on what output resolution you have on the Live.

Don’t know but wouldn’t the projector deal with the scaling. You can send 1080p to a 720p or 1080i  device and still watch it so something must occur electronically for it to work.

rbico wrote:
I am planning on getting this product but I had a question; I am getting this mostly to watch dvds and mkv files that are on my PC. My older Mitsubishi projection TV – which will be connected through component since it has no HDMI – only does 480i/480p and 1080i (no 720P). So since mkvs are 720p, will the the WD TV Live upscale it, downscale it or just not show it at all? I called WD, but the support guy really didn’t seem too confident in his answer. thanks

Let me get this straight – you’re saying you have a bunch of 720p files in an MKV container, right?  (Because saying “mkvs are 720p” sort of implies that that is true of all mkv files, which isn’t true.  You mean to say “So since MY mkvs are 720p”, correct?).  And you want to know if playing them through component cables attached to your TV which only supports 480i/p or 1080i will work?

If that’s your question, the answer is yes, the Live will indeed upscale depending upon your settings (Audio/VIdeo - Component - Resolution).  In this case you’d probably be best off choosing 1080i (and then 50 or 60Hz depending on your set).  Then for future rips you should rip to 1080i (really the best to rip to any way, for upward compatibility with your next set :>)

thanks mkelly. That is exactly what I wanted to know;.