4TB My Book Unable to access after sleep Mac

I have now had 3 disks from WD, 2 replacements under RMA where I can access the disk when first plugged in and powered up, I can successfully write/read from the disk but once the iMac goes to sleep I am unable to access the files and get read errors. I am unable to unmount the disk and have to plug the USB lead in again to get access.

I have refomatted, tried keeping the disk awake all with no success. I am running Sierra on a mid 2011 iMac. My older My book is working just fine. Has anyone any ideas

Hi,

Take a look at this article.

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=18502

Hi G_Ryan,

Thanks for the response, I have already tried this and sadly it made no difference.I would just like to ask why this is necessary now as I have never had to do this with previous WD purchases. I believe this is firmware related but so far neither apple or WD will acknowledge there is a problem. This will be my last WD purchase.

Hi Mike,
I’ve had the same problem and have worked at solving it for months – even went back to an earlier OS. (I’ve got 5 multi-TB WD disks, including my Time Machine Backup disk)
Finally, on this site, (and I can’t find it again) I tried yet another possibility, and I thank whoever it was that posted it.
I deleted all the WD Drive utilities from applications – using the uninstaller there.
Then to Library/LaunchDaemons/ and deleted com.wdc.WDPriviledged Helper.plist.

I worried that something might happen to my access, but I was at the end of my patience.
So far, so good. I’ve put my iMac to sleep, waken it up, and everything works. I’ve turned it off and rebooted. OK.

I think it’s not about Mac’s sleep operation. It’s some interaction with WD software and the Mac.

Good luck, and I hope it works.

John

Hi Mike,
I forgot to add one other item to delete:
From the System Preferences>Users & Groups>Login Items, remove WDDriveUtilityHelper (this runs the helper when a user logs in).

Hi Sunmount,

Thanks so much for the information, it worked a treat and I no longer seem to have the issue.

Mike [quote=“MIKE_WOODS, post:1, topic:212078, full:true”]
I have now had 3 disks from WD, 2 replacements under RMA where I can access the disk when first plugged in and powered up, I can successfully write/read from the disk but once the iMac goes to sleep I am unable to access the files and get read errors. I am unable to unmount the disk and have to plug the USB lead in again to get access.

I have refomatted, tried keeping the disk awake all with no success. I am running Sierra on a mid 2011 iMac. My older My book is working just fine. Has anyone any ideas
[/quote]