4 Bay External Hard Drive Enclosure - JBOD

Hello,

Could anyone tell me if a 4 bay external hard drive enclosure with 4 x 2tb hard drives setup as JBOD ( http://www.ebuyer.com/179315-startech-3-5-sata-external-trayless-hard-drive-enclosure-hi-speed-usb-sat3540u2e)) will work on my WD TV Live Streaming Media Player?

Thanks in advance!

Dont see why it would not work. 

1 Like

Thanks Alucardx23,

I found this article:-

http://www.icydock.com/icy_tip/559_561_wdtv_media_solution.html

at the bottom in red it says:-

**Please note that due to recent firmware updates for the WD TV HD, USB hubs and multi-drive enclosures will not work. Version 1.02.08 and later firmware are reported to no longer work with USB hubs. Support for USB hubs did work in versions 1.02.07 and earlier releases. Please refer to this link for more information: http://wdtv.wetpaint.com/page/Firmware. Before making changes to your device, please always do sufficient research into the topic and procedure.

I wasn’t sure if this applied to the WD TV Live SMP. I’ve been searching for an answer for days now! :frowning:

USB Hubs do work for the SMP.

The drive bay should work as well but I think (could be wrong) the SMP doesnt support anything over 3 or 4 TB single drives attatched to USB although a firmware update can change this.

1 Like

Damm!

I was hoping to put 4 x 2tb drives into the JBOD hub and it turning it into one 8tb volume.

Would plugging in a 8tb external NAS system directly into the WD TV Live SMP work? I basically want a system where i dont need to have a computer on.

Sorry for all the questions, really appreciate any more help.

Thanks.

well it may still work WD hasn’t said it doesn’t and nobody here as far as I remember has tried a multiple bay drive enclosure.

as far as a NAS goes I don’t know if it can be plugged in to the SMP as most (if not all, I personally don’t know) connect to ethernet ports. it will ‘work’ if you hook it to your home network (router), but some users experience problems streaming some HD content from them.

Thanks Ripcord,

I didn’t explain properly, i ment connecting directly from the external NAS to the WD TV Live SMP using the ethernet ports. Would that work?

I still would ideally prefer to connect a 8tb JBOD usb hub to the WD TV Live SMP. I shall try and get an answer from Western Digital.

yep it does, I use a combo of a 3TB USB drive and a 4TB NAS and have no problems finding either with the SMP.

I use a Rosewill 2 bay JOBD device with two 2TB drives and it works fine. I always have a WD NAS which also works. it’s the SMP that doesn’t actually work when you wanna watch a movie. Hate spending money on these devices that don’t work like they are advertised.

Thanks Moor208,

Thats great news a 2 bay 4tb JBOD works with the WD TV Live SMP.
What kind of problems are you having watching movies? I don’t have any problems with any movie play back

After ever movie I gotta power cycle the SMP. If I try and watch a movie after I had already played one, I get the media not support error.