3TB mybook live - blue light turns to solid red

Today, after many months of perfect service, I managed to bump into my 3TB mybook live, and it took a minor tumble.   Now, when I plug it in, it starts with a solid blue light, then after about two minutes the light goes solid red and the drive spins down.  The netork lights continue to work and the drive shows on the router as being “there”.  It does NOT show up on my network. 

Please talk me down out of my tree here - I can sure use some things to try.  I am prepared to take the drive out of the case and plug it into a SATA-USB cable but that’s my last resort.  What can I try to get this thing going again?

If it took a tumble while it was powered up, well, then, to paraphrase Bones McCoy:  “It’s Dead, Jim.”

Taking the disk out of the case likely won’t do any good.  The hard drive probably took a hard enough hit to induce a “Head Crash” or a servo failure.

Unfortunately, when it comes to desktop HDs, there’s no such thing as a “Minor Tumble.”  :(

OK.  Well then I guess taking it out of the case to try a direct connection via a sata-usb cable is my first option, not my last.  Ugh.

I have a similar problem. My 2TB MyBookLive had been working fine for the best part of a year but last week the red light came on and now I can’t access the drive at all.

I’ve take the drive out of its case and put it in my pc to try and recover my data, but the drive is not visible in Windows or Linux. Unfortunately the only copy of some of my data is on the drive so I really would like to try and recover it.

If you do manage to recover your data please let me know how you did it.

Many thanks.

So far, I have taken the drive out (no fun) and connected it to a SATA-USB adaptor cable.  The drive spins up, makes common drive noises for a minute or two, then spins down - just like it does in the WD case.  The SATA activity light on my adaptor does not come on.    The fact that the data on WD drives is encripted in some way (didn’t know that until now) doesn’t help matters. 

See this other thread about our problem…

http://community.wdc.com/t5/External-Drives-for-PC/My-Book-encrypted-files/m-p/510414#M14169

The my book live is not encrypted.