3D? Or No?

What’s ya’lls opinion on 3DTV?

I bought a 3D TV last fall, and I’ve bought 7 or 8 3D Blurays now.

Seems to come in camps:

“3D is a passing fad.”

or, based on marketing data, is a pretty big deal.

3D Bluray sales, in the first 12 months, sold 3X more units than sales of all blu-rays in their first year;   1.7 million 3D BD’s sold in the 12 months of July 2010-July 2011.  BD Sales in THEIR first year (2006 or so) were less than 600 thousand units.

What do you think?  

Fan or Flop?

FAD

Can I answer “both”? :stuck_out_tongue:

I see it as similar to when colour was added to NTSC broadcasts… a few folks had to rush out and spend top dollar to get the newfangled colour, but the vast majority made due with their perfectly serviceable B&W equipment, and gradually upgraded years later.

I don’t see Joe Public rushing out and trashing all his existing equipment and buying brand new everything, so that would tend to put it in the “fad” camp, but it’s probably here to stay in the long run and won’t really flop.

Since I’m still on a 27" CRT, I’m in the “can’t be bothered / don’t have the money” camp at the minute. :wink:

RoofingGuy wrote:

Can I answer “both”? :stuck_out_tongue:

I see it as similar to when colour was added to NTSC broadcasts… a few folks had to rush out and spend top dollar to get the newfangled colour, but the vast majority made due with their perfectly serviceable B&W equipment, and gradually upgraded years later.

I don’t see Joe Public rushing out and trashing all his existing equipment and buying brand new everything, so that would tend to put it in the “fad” camp, but it’s probably here to stay in the long run and won’t really flop.

Since I’m still on a 27" CRT, I’m in the “can’t be bothered / don’t have the money” camp at the minute. :wink:

Me too.

Where I live, 3DTV’s cost close to a kidney so not everyone gets lucky. A friend of my girlfriend got one and invited us to see Thor, I liked the 3D effect more that I liked it on the movie theatre but it still felt kinda “low” for the price of the TV.

Next, I tried the Trioscopic (Magenta/Green) 3D Coraline on a 2D HDTV and it was not as “great” as the 3DTV but still way better than regular cyan/red anaglyph I’d expect on a 2D TV using 3D, it’s kinda like a “stop-gap” between “2D 3D” and “Real 3D” as called by marketing gurus and I really enjoyed it.

I’ve been using DVDFab to convert 2D to Magenta/Green 3D since then and I’m happy enough not to want a “Real” 3D TV, at least for now.

Also when playing games on Inficolor/Trioviz 3D is really neat!

FAD - will go away entirely in 5 years…

Ardvark wrote:

FAD - will go away entirely in 5 years…

No fair voting twice…  :)

1 Like

I voted once, and my Ego voted the second time…

Tony, you should know how those beatnik intellectuals are.