3-D Support

My WDBABZOO10BBK-00 media hub is connected to my LG 3-D TV. If I place a ‘3Dmovie.MTS’ file in the VIDEO folder (it must be the VIDEO folder), my TV sees the file and correctly displays the 3-D movie correctly. The MTS format is basically a Side-by-side format,  so the TV converts Side-by-side into a great-looking 3-D movie.

If I copy a ‘3Dpicture.MPO’ file into any Western Digital hub folder, the file type can not be seen. If you can not see the file it is impossible for the TV to open the file. If I place the ‘3Dpicture.MPO’ file on any USB flash drive, the TV has no problem seeing and displaying the 3-D picture.

In other words, the WD hub does not support 3-D pictures having an MPO extension. I was pleasantly surprised that the hub supports the more complicated 3-D movies but fails to support the 3-D pictures. I have to convert these 3-D MPO pictures into Side-by-side JPG images, because the hub naturally displays all files with a JPG extension.

Since a simple USB flash drive displays most file extensions, would it be possible to update the firmware to display files with an MPO file extension?

You have a live hub therefore you should be posting on the hub forum.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Media-Player/ct-p/live_hub

How are you accessing the photos on the hub. If the hub can see and display the photo on a flash drive it should also be able to do the same with the internal drive.

Later: your post has now been moved to the correct forum by a WD mod.

Place the mpo file on the Hub and see if you can access it with the Files option from the Hubs main menu. 

Thanks for moving the msg to the correct site.

FYI: Plugging a flash drive into the TV makes the files visible.

Plugging a Flash drive into the Hub makes the files invisible.

Thanks for taking the time to post the PDF link.

MPO files are invisible from the FILES command, but if you access the HUB from a PC they are visible.

Also, plugging in a Flash drive into the Hub makes the files invisible, but plugging the Flash drive into the TV makes the files visible.

The WD TV Live hub does not specifically support 3D.  There are a few different formats that are 3-D that will work on a live hub, as long as the TV can convert it to the TV’s 3D on its own.   For example Stereoscopic 3D side-by-side images.  As far as the Live hub is concerned, they are just whatever graphic format you save them in.  It doesn’t know or care that the image itself is stereoscopic or 3D or anything else other than a .jpg.

Most of the newer 3D TV’s will actually convert normal jpgs to 3D, or a Side-by-side image, as well as .MPOs.  They can convert a single image, side-by-side, or top/bottom (.mpo) 3D image.  The catch is that you have to manually switch it to the mode you want to watch it in on the TV, and even after manually switching it, I’ve noticed a second to 3 second delay on swtiching to 3D mode once a clip.movie starts.

.mpos are encoded differentlly than .jpg, and devices that don’t have 3D built in may not be able to play them or load them. 

Just to further clarify, if you open the menu on the live up, it might not see the files…but if you open the TV’s file menu, and it supports .mpo’s…then you’ll see the files and be able to run them.