2TB USB 3.0/2.0 WD Mybook Essential Circuit Board Repair?

I purchased this drive back in 2011 and it seems that the circuit board in the enclosure has stopped functioning.  If I plug the drive into internal sata or another USB to SATA device I can see the drive however the data is encrypted and I am not able to see the partition etc and windows wants to initialize the drive which I cancel out of.  So the Drive seems to be good still.

This is printed on the circuit board:  4061-705089-001 Rev AG

Enclosure Information:

Western Digital-My Book Essential 2TB External USB 3.0/2.0 Hard Drive-Black-WDBACW0020HBK-NESN (Enclosure actually says WDBACW0020HBK-00).

EDIT:  Please let me know if you know of anywhere I can purchase a working circuit board.

Thanks!

About the only place to find a board is someplace like Ebay. This link may help a bit http://community.wd.com/t5/Off-Topic-Discussions/Bridge-Boards/td-p/353839 About the only person who understands these boards is fzabkar you might try sending him a PM.

Joe

1 Like

I’m having the same problem with my 3TB My Book that I purchased in 2011.

This week I purchased a new 3TB My Book to try and salvage the PCB, however the boards are different (appearance and number) so when replaced the HD was not recognized.

I’ve now sent an e-mail for WD support in hopes that they can send/sell me a new PCB of the correct format/number so I can access my data.

It’s incredibly unbelievable that a company would put in such an encryption that you can’t opt-out of nor is it informed anywhere that in case of board failure your data will be basically LOST even though the drive itself is perfectly fine. Honestly I cannot see what benefit they think this brings their customer or who ever though this would be a good idea at all…

WD doesn’t supply the circuit boards they change frequently. Check my post above and try looking on Ebay for one.

Joe