250GB My Passport Essentials drive fails to be recognized

Hey guys, here is my problem.

I have a WD My Passport Essentials external drive that I’ve had for several months now and it works great. However, I got my dad an iPod for Christmas and I installed iTunes onto my laptop so I could have it separate from the iTunes on my desktop and he could have his own library. I’ve always had the WD external drive on my Windows 7 64bit desktop, but when I plugged it into my Vista 32bit laptop to transfer music from it onto my dad’s iPod, I noticed that the drive no longer is found when I connect it back to my desktop. I even tried connecting it to the laptop again and Vista doesn’t recognize it anymore either. The partition for the WD software pops up, but not the hard drive itself.

I tried updating the firmware, but I can’t because it keeps asking me for a password that I never even set on the **bleep** thing. Windows found an error in the hardware so I reinstalled the driver and no luck. Anybody have any ideas on how I can fix this? I do not want to lose my data because I have a lot of important stuff on it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Is this connected to the front or back of the desktop?