24p playback issues

I’d thought about this too but it does not add up since the initial file tested wasn’t muxed with MKVToolnix > 5.8.0 (nor this 24 fps file) and the source file that clip was extracted from was even done with 4.1.1. What’s totally freaking me out though is that every clip extracted by MKVToolnix (4.1.1, 5.8.0, 6.0.0) from the source (which has 23.976 FPS) ends up on 23.962 fps (according to Mediainfo).

Techflaws wrote:

I’d thought about this too but it does not add up since the initial file tested wasn’t muxed with MKVToolnix > 5.8.0 (nor this 24 fps file) and the source file that clip was extracted from was even done with 4.1.1. What’s totally freaking me out though is that every clip extracted by MKVToolnix (4.1.1, 5.8.0, 6.0.0) from the source (which has 23.976 FPS) ends up on 23.962 fps (according to Mediainfo).

Hmmm… Are the clips at 23.962 fps skiping frames? Haven’t checked myself. If they do, I wonder if the SMP can play only 23.976 and nothing higher or lower than that but still, I have files at 23.976 that skip frames. I think the argo clip was extracted with MKVToolnix 5.8.0 and it is 23.976. I tried again now with 5.8.0 and it is 23.962… Why? Try doing the following:

open the MKV and in Global (tab)->Enable Splitting->After Timecodes add something like 01:05:53,01:06:57

This will split the MKV in 3 parts. One from 00:00:00->01:05:53, second from 01:05:53,01:06:57 and the the third from 01:06:57-> end. Part 1 and 3 end up at 23.976. Part 2 ends up with 23.962. To maintain the 23.976, split in two first ie add only one value in After Timecodes say 01:05:53. Then get the second part that you have and split it again after say 1 minute. I know it is crazy… This is what I did and my clip was 23.876.

vertical wrote:
Hmmm… Are the clips at 23.962 fps skiping frames?

Yes. The problem here is that the argo clip is on 23.976 but is still dropping frames, so it’s not only due to 23.962.

Does the 23.962 fps part two you split drop frames or what was the point in splitting?

Well, that’s crazy. I tried splitting Sinister. I split in two parts first. From Part 1 I took the last minute (part 1.b). From Part 2 I got the first 5 minutes (part 1a).

Part 1b

Frame rate : 24.000 fps
Original frame rate : 23.976 fps

Part 2a

Frame rate : 23.962 fps
Original frame rate : 23.976 fps

I have headache…

What happens if you remux the argo clip with mkvmerge v6.0.0 and set the fps to 23.976?

That is, select the video stream and type in 23.976 in the ‘FPS’ field under the ‘Format specific options’ tab.

This is something I tried when I tested back in December but I would have been using v5.8.0 of mkvmerge and it made no difference.

mankmeister wrote:

What happens if you remux the argo clip with mkvmerge v6.0.0 and set the fps to 23.976?

That is, select the video stream and type in 23.976 in the ‘FPS’ field under the ‘Format specific options’ tab.

This is something I tried when I tested back in December but I would have been using v5.8.0 of mkvmerge and it made no difference.

Well, I made some clips from other movies. My Argo clip was 23.976 so there was no need to alter it. But I tried what you said in the other clips and yes, now thet are set to 23.976 so they seem to have the original FPS. Thanks. I used v5.8.0 BTW. 6.0.0 was giving me some troubles.

I was actually thinking more of trying the argo clip on the SMP after remuxing and explicitly setting the fps to 23.976.

The reason I’m curious is I’ve just bought a new Dune 303D which also shows stutter when playing the argo clip but no stutter when remuxing with v6.0.0 and setting the fps to 23.976.

I’ve remuxd both argo and curve with 5.8.0 and 6.0.0 setting FPS manually to 24/1001 and there’s no stutter on Live and LIVE SMP any more.

count me as another person having this issue. unfortunately, switching to 1080p/60hz does NOT fix the issue. only switching to 720p/60hz will correct the issue and also introduce 3:2 pulldown. it might even be that the 3:2 pulldown is just “masking” it however

So I’ve tried vilago’s clip (which plays back on his TV like this) on both old and current live (autoframe on) and although the lightning plays into it, the pumpkins definitely judder. So I used TSMuxer to convert to m2ts and the judder was gone. Problem is that muxing that m2ts back to MKV did NOT result in a judder-free MKV as has been with all other clips so far!

This might be related to a damaged file cause I could not extract all streams from the clip. MKVcleaver, TSMuxer all complained and only extracted audio and video. How did you rip from BD, vilago?

strange. i hope it’s not a damaged file. 

I literally used makemkv with the blu ray directly in an external drive on my imac. when the file was done, i didn’t change anything else, no compression, nothing.

if anything is wrong with these files it’s a makemkv issue which could be potentially worrying

i suspect though, that it isn’t makemkv’s fault since the files play fine in VLC. 

Since there was a substantial update to makemkv the other day which include “Improved compatibility of produced MKV files” and “Many miscellaneous stability improvements” i’m going to try reripping this one and see if anything is different.

Don’t focus on VLC, it’s programmed to deal with damaged/strange files like the LIVE never could. You could try ripping with DVDfab (I trust their ripping routines are more sophisticated given their years of experience) and then use MakeMKV, or ClownBD instead.