2 years gone and still have errors on an WD MyCloud Home. New solutions?

Hey guys,

i guess its been around 2 years ago, when i wasnt able to connect to my MyCloud Home anymore for days. Since i faced this problem in the past, i was waiting some days and checked back again. But it was gone.

Long story short
I contacted WD Support and i was also able to sent them the debug.log and after some days they came back to me telling the HDD is corrupted and i need to contact a Rescue company, not forgetting to mention their 3rd party company with a voucher LOL

Anyway… i tried so so so many solutions to get Data from the HDD, but in fact the motherboard wasnt working too, i extract the HDD and tried several methods like UNIX, Ubuntu, UFS Explorer and all these things without getting some good results.

To be honest: I wasnt able to extract a single JPG. I will surely not die when i cant get my hands on any data from the 6 TB HDD, but i thought i give the HDD some time and check back after a while

So i would like to ask if anyone got some new methods which i could try out to get my hands on the data. I am on a Mac Studio and have no PC/Windows PC to try things out. So it must be possible for me to try everything with the Mac and macOS

The main problem is: No matter where i connect the HDD (externale USB case, external SATA Device), the LED is flashing and flashing and flashing and i will not get any root directory. It will not list me anything.

I never give up and so i wonder if someone has a good workaround to try it again

thank you so much
Lomaxxx

Mac is the worse possible OS to do DYI data recovery. In fact macOS is the worse possible OS for reliable network drive access for NAS and the cause of many file and folder permission errors on the network drive.

Learn about what kind of PC will run Linux and has enough SATA expansion ports to plug in a 3.5" HDD for data recovery. Then go to a thrift shop and buy a used PC for $50, sometimes much less, or try buying it on Ebay. Nearly all data recovery tools are free on Linux.

The debug_logs.tar will have SMARTdata logs that will tell you how damaged the drive is, such as unrecoverable data sectors. You can read it yourself, you don’t have to take their word for it.

It may not be possible to recover any data at all DIY. If you don’t understand SMR HDDs used in the MCH, you probably haven’t done enough research. SMR HDDs are a form of planned obsolescence for the hard disk manufacturers because retail channel SMRs are cheap and are likely to fail quickly after the typical two year or less warranty period if the drives are used to run any type of OS, especially such as a NAS which is writing data constantly.

https://www.reddit.com/r/datarecovery/comments/xawrxn/do_smr_hard_disk_drives_have_any_potential/

The main issue with SMR drives is the second level translator which maps the LBA to PBA. As data isn’t stored sequentially but rather in bands damage to the translator makes reassembling fragmented data impossible or worse the translator just returns empty data effectively zeros making it look like the drive has been entirely erased. SMR is an all round PITA.

I think you are looking at the data loss protection from the wrong angle. You shouldn’t really be looking at it from which drive technology is “easiest to fix” you should be looking at it from not needed to go to a Data recovery shop in the first place. Even for “simple” CMR cases, it could be at least $300 to get someone to fix it. the much cheaper option is to backup and that where the energy should be focused on.

Uff, that is a lot of information. OK, lets clear some things out first.I would call myself very experienced in using PCs and Computers at all, because i am doing this for my life and i have over 30+ years experience.

It might be a big problem that i switched around 2011 completely to macOS to due the fact that all of my friends came always to me when they had a problem in any case. They also had feel of shame to call me in the middle of the night and also customers (i am working as a graphic designer and programmer now and before as an IT administrator). So i would say i have experience, but i had enough of this in 2011 and thats why i switched to macOS, to concetrate on my work and let every stuff like gaming etc behind me. In windows times i managed to recovered files from 1 or 2 hdd with a head crash. i remember i did this with a DOS only and this was hell lot of work to go over terminal commands.

Anyway… today i have no clue what happend in this time and i have absolutely no clue what programs or tools out right now that can do the job. technology changed too and today i am a user that uses his machines just to get my jobs done.

so first of all i wanna thank you for all the explanations and you effort you put in this.

Long story short…
do you think i have a realistic chance to recover some of my files without going to study all these different methods? i am surely able to get a PC at my home, but i will be honest with you: I am not willing to put so much effort in it, because the data on the HDD would be nice to have, but it doesnt mean the world to me if not. So are there any tools out worth giving it a shot or do i need to put way more effort in it?

Again… thanks for all your explanation and maybe… maybe i am lucky and will get back some files.

thank you

You have the debug_logs, you should be able to find out the condition of the hard disk and the chances of recovery. Nobody here has that information on your hard disk but you. You should be able to make a decision based on that and the caveat I posed in the first reply about how difficult it is for a DIY data recovery of a SMR HDD such as the ones in the My Cloud Home. There are no miraculous tools that will recover data from SMR HDDs.

I am not sure what you were expecting, a lot of miraculous returns without any effort or expense?

The only miracle in data storage is the ability to plan 2 steps ahead and have 3 copies of data, one copy offsite. Then any data loss in one is merely an inconvenience of usually minutes to hours, instead of worrying about some errors for 2 years.

The conundrum you face is nothing unique amongst home users of data storage. Most home users will not worry about data storage and backups until they suddenly have lost it all.

Bro, you should slow down a little bit. I am not asking for a miracle, nor do i cry about my maybe lost data. I dont need a teacher raising his finger and tell me what i should have done in the past. As i told you it is not the end of the world if i dont get my hands on the data, but it WOULD be nice. If not, then not

i do have a 6-Bay NAS Raid system where i keep my business data safe and also with 2 simultaneous backups. I would for sure never use a system to store my whole life which is attached to a cloud system which is not in my own hand. the wd mycloud home was only replace my default download folder and to not fill my desktop with all the trash.

But i am not trying to write my dr. title out of this. It was a simple question like: are there any tools out which could do a decent job or not?

thats all. No offense and i appreciate your effort, no questions, but i would prefer to keep it straight because i am not sure if you read my post accurate enough. it is what it is and when there is no method to maybe get some files back, then it is what it is

thank you