No NetFlix (yet?) in The Netherlands

Since today Netflix should be available in the Netherlands. They even have a special page featurung Netflix on WD devices. But on my WDTV Live Hub I can not get it.

I tired to restrat, reset the Geolocation, Shut the device down and take it off power for a while but nothing seems to work.

Anybody els has this problem?

If you have the WD hub (with internal hard drive) then it is very unlikely that you will be able to access European Netflix. The hub Netflix is only for north america. It may be that it will work at some point with the live streaming player but I would say never on the hub.

Same problem here…
The weird thing is, that I’m 100% that I saw the Netflix app in previous firmware versions. But it just disappeared while upgrading to new firmware. (3.12.13)

@richUK

I hope you’re wrong… 
I bought the da.mn thing to watch Netflix!

richUK wrote:

If you have the WD hub (with internal hard drive) then it is very unlikely that you will be able to access European Netflix. The hub Netflix is only for north america. It may be that it will work at some point with the live streaming player but I would say never on the hub.

Are you sure? I thought the hub should also play in other areas. For this purpose the HUB with internal hard disc has a chip that should reset itself in areas where netflix is available.

BTW ALL WDTV Live HUB’s have an internal hard disc. That’s the way they are…

Wootism wrote:

Same problem here…
The weird thing is, that I’m 100% that I saw the Netflix app in previous firmware versions. But it just disappeared while upgrading to new firmware. (3.12.13)

@richUK

I hope you’re wrong… 
I bought the da.mn thing to watch Netflix!

Do you reside in the UK (because of your name?) Or in the Netherlands. If in the UK I wotty because you should have the Netflix option by a long time now…

This is a sad fact. I live in Australia and use Vudu, Hulu & Netflix and they work fine on the PS3, Blu Ray Player & 360 with simple DNS to go around geo blocking. But I would love to get Vudu working on the hub so I can download my purchases on the internal HDD, I own over 600 Vudu movies and the PS3 just can’t handle the HDD space. I’m very sad to see the US streaming services aren’t available in all regions on the hub. Please get your act together WD and don’t forget about us, this isn’t the middle ages anymore, streaming & digital downloads are the future for all countries. 

Ik ben gewoon Nederlands :slight_smile:

The thing is… if you take a look at the ‘Online Services’ and highlight _Europe/Middle East/Africa. _You can see that they removed Netflix.

On the other hand; the dutch  Netflix website shows a Live Hub running Netflix… :neutral_face:

I just think that WD wasn’t aware of Netflix coming to The Netherlands. They need to wake up…

I also don’t think it will work in The Netherlands. There have been extensive talks here in this forum about Netflix not working outside of U.S. and Canada. When Netflix was released in Latin America and UK, hub owners there are complaining that it’s not working. It’s all because of the physical hardware of the hub. The hub doesn’t have the DRM hardware required by Netflix outside U.S. and Canada.

Search for Netflix and you will find numerous posts.

However if you read the entire thread below all will be explained.

I have a hub, I am in the UK, the UK has Netflix, I don’t get Netflix on the hub.

Nobody gets European Netflix on a hub.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Discussions/Netflix-in-the-UK/td-p/327967/highlight/true

lemonkid wrote:

richUK wrote:

Are you sure? I thought the hub should also play in other areas. For this purpose the HUB with internal hard disc has a chip that should reset itself in areas where netflix is available.

BTW ALL WDTV Live HUB’s have an internal hard disc. That’s the way they are…

The hub does play in other areas but not Netflix. I know that all hubs have internal drives however some users post in the wrong areas because they believe that live streaming gen3 is called a hub. The gen3 should play European Netflix whereas the hub does not. I mentioned the drive to overcome any confusion at the start.

I am afraid it is true that a hub is not a real hub…

WDTV streaming media player seems to be the only WD device that works with Netflix. in the EU. I called WD and asked them…

Well that **bleep**… 

Guess I need to buy a Apple TV then. 
Will a Hub be able to stream HD-content to an Apple Tv?

* Okay, and what’s up with censoring ‘su.cks’ and ‘da.mn’ ?! :neutral_face:

Sad was looking here for the same reason :frowning:

Wootism wrote:

Well that **bleep**… 

Guess I need to buy a Apple TV then. 
Will a Hub be able to stream HD-content to an Apple Tv?

* Okay, and what’s up with censoring ‘su.cks’ and ‘da.mn’ ?! :neutral_face:

• *No, unless the Apple TV is jailbroken. The hub being a media server, you can only access media from it and it cannot initiate streaming to other devices. Apple TV can only access media from iTunes.

So Western Digital sells a product, they claim support for netflix when it came out. The icon has always been in the services menu. Then, when netflix becomes available, you find out the erased support for it some updates ago…

After reading the UK topic I’ve concluded to sell my live hub. **bleep** shame because it’s a nice piece of hardware.

Idroy wrote:

So Western Digital sells a product, they claim support for netflix when it came out. The icon has always been in the services menu. Then, when netflix becomes available, you find out the erased support for it some updates ago…

After reading the UK topic I’ve concluded to sell my live hub. **bleep** shame because it’s a nice piece of hardware.

It still supports Netflix just not European Netflix.

I changed the DNS via Unblock-US to united states. Though the collection of services changed, it didn’t show Netflix.

Just received the official message from WD that Netflix isn’t possible on my Live Hub because I’m outside the U.S. and Canada.

Thank you WD! Will never buy from you again. YOU

I just spoke with someone of WD technical support and he said that if we all make sure that WD need to fix Netflix on the next firmware update in The Netherlands, it will probably an issue they would work on.

So all repeat me: We want Netflix in the Netherlands !!

stibbe wrote:

I just spoke with someone of WD technical support and he said that if we all make sure that WD need to fix Netflix on the next firmware update in The Netherlands, it will probably an issue they would work on.

So all repeat me: We want Netflix in the Netherlands !!

You can repeat all you like. The hub does not support European Netflix and it cannot be added by a firmware update.

The live streaming player gen3 does have Netflix capability but that is already built in and does not need a firmware update. 

In short there will be no firmware update for the Netherlands no matter what WD tech support say.

1 Like