New Release - Firmware Version 1.04.17_V for WD TV Live (12/30/10)

drdsouza wrote:

WDTV Live is the best player for online *internet* contents (it has the best YouTube support of all players I mentioned). However,for playing back contents stored in my NAS, I have to say that WDTV Live is the worse player of all the ones I have today. It is impressive how a huge company as WD can deliver a so half-backed product…

I was really expecting that WD would release new firmwares that would improve WDTV Live, but this is not what I am seeing. Each new firmware is more a regression than an evolution. Currently I am not recommending WDTV Live to any of my friends that are on the market for a media player…

Sorry for venting it here, but that’s my impression.

Cheers,

dsouza

I bought mine almost a year ago, and have been using it exclusively to watch local media files on a WD World Book 1TB NAS.

It was a little flaky at first, but then they issued a FW update in march of 2010, and after that I thought this was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I bought a few as gifts during the year, and recommended it to dozens of friends.

Then they came out with the first of these latest updates in early November, and everything went to [deleted] All three of these latest updates have only made my device practically unusable, or at least utterly annoying to use.  EVERY video I watch, now, stops playing and returns me to the file menu.  The first two updates since November were at least tolerable, if the video was less than 30 minutes, I’d probably only have one or two drops.  This third and latest update has made the drops more reliable, they happen EVERY TEN MINUTES now.

This used to be exactly what it was sold for – an HD media player that could access any media on a USB drive or any PC on your network.

Now it sorta does that, if you don’t mind it dropping out on you every ten minutes.

I don’t know, but it almost seems like they are trying to turn this into an internet content device and make the local content unusable because they got pressure from copyright holders who fear this device is being used to watch pirated stuff.  But if that’s the case, they are screwing people like me who are trying to watch content that I have the rights to.

Maybe that’s not the case, but the fact still remains, the last three updates have been getting worse and worse, not better in any measure.

1 Like