No sound in some movies

topcopnasik wrote:

Please elaborate on what you have suggested. I am new to this field and did not understand what you have written. Sorry for trouble.

Thanks

Ah, so you are one of those folks who thought they could just play videos with the WD without having to alter your files so they would fit…

I believe you have two entirely seperate issues:

1. Some of the movies have DTS sound only. Those are the ones that played in the WDTV Live but won’t in the WDTV (so far as I know; TIA, I don’t and won’t own a WDTV Live, but I believe that unit will convert DTS). They need to be demuxed, the audio reencoded, and then remuxed.

2. Some of the files have header compression turned on in the audio track. Those are the ones none of the WDTV players will play. These need to be remuxed with header compression turned off in the settings.

Now if all of that sounds like gobbldy-**bleep** (seriously, this board bleeps gee-oh-oh-kay? Yeesh…), you have two choices:

1. Spend a few days researching all of this on the Internet, learning how video files are “built” with seperate tracks with seperate encoding and “packaged” into “containers,” etc., etc. We can give you step-by-step for specific encoder/muxers (search this board; the problem is universal-enough there are a few already here), but you won’t understand what you’re doing and will need to constantly ask for modifications to the to-do list every time you run into something new. If you go this route, you need to educate yourself about digital video/audio.

2. Dump the WDTV and buy a player that actually plays what it promises.

1 Like