No sound in some movies

Hi. I have installed a HD TV player recently . It works fine for most of the movies but in many movies there is no sound. The audio function is set to ‘Stereo’. I was using a HD TV live earlier and some of the movies that have no sound now, were alright with that player. But then there were some others which had no sound. In short, none of the models is able to play all the movies together( in terms of sound). Pl suggest solution. Thanks.

Re-mux the .mkv files with compression set to “none” in the headers.

Please elaborate on what you have suggested. I am new to this field and did not understand what you have written. Sorry for trouble.

Thanks

topcopnasik wrote:

Please elaborate on what you have suggested. I am new to this field and did not understand what you have written. Sorry for trouble.

Thanks

Ah, so you are one of those folks who thought they could just play videos with the WD without having to alter your files so they would fit…

I believe you have two entirely seperate issues:

1. Some of the movies have DTS sound only. Those are the ones that played in the WDTV Live but won’t in the WDTV (so far as I know; TIA, I don’t and won’t own a WDTV Live, but I believe that unit will convert DTS). They need to be demuxed, the audio reencoded, and then remuxed.

2. Some of the files have header compression turned on in the audio track. Those are the ones none of the WDTV players will play. These need to be remuxed with header compression turned off in the settings.

Now if all of that sounds like gobbldy-**bleep** (seriously, this board bleeps gee-oh-oh-kay? Yeesh…), you have two choices:

1. Spend a few days researching all of this on the Internet, learning how video files are “built” with seperate tracks with seperate encoding and “packaged” into “containers,” etc., etc. We can give you step-by-step for specific encoder/muxers (search this board; the problem is universal-enough there are a few already here), but you won’t understand what you’re doing and will need to constantly ask for modifications to the to-do list every time you run into something new. If you go this route, you need to educate yourself about digital video/audio.

2. Dump the WDTV and buy a player that actually plays what it promises.

1 Like

Topcop:  Do you use a MAC or a PC?  I’ll point you to the right stuff based on that.

CharlieSummers wrote:

Ah, so you are one of those folks who thought they could just play videos with the WD without having to alter your files so they would fit…

1. Some of the movies have DTS sound only.

Gee…  why encode your movies as DTS only (or illegally download DTS-only versions) and then wonder why they “won’t play” in stereo on a Gen1 which isn’t licenced for DTS.  The DVD is required to have AC3 tracks (or PCM) – DTS is an additional option.  It would seem as if not throwing out the AC3 (or PCM) tracks when you encode, or downloading an AC3 or AAC version instead of a DTS version, would be much more productive, than complaining that a non-DTS licenced player isn’t licenced to decode DTS… that’s kind of what the licence is for.

Hi. I took help of some ‘experts’ here and we did all that has been suggested initially.( Re-mux etc.) But still those with DTS*264- HiDt.mkv format have no sound.  Pl suggest.

Try connecting an optical cable from your WDTV to a reciever, and see if that helps.

I have always used an optical cable with my WDTV, and the sound has always worked,

apart from a few times when I have forgotten to remux the movie. 

topcopnasik wrote:

Hi. I took help of some ‘experts’ here and we did all that has been suggested initially.( Re-mux etc.) But still those with DTS*264- HiDt.mkv format have no sound.  Pl suggest.

You need to re-encode the sound if you plan on playing it through HDMI; you demux the file, convert the digital audio to AAC or MP3, then remux the streams.

Either that, or find a more modern box that will auto-convert.

I have been having problems getting sound.

I have remuxed, converted etc etc and still nothing.

Frustrated  is an understatment

Something had to be wrong so  tonight i upgraded the firmware to WDTV_1_03_01 and I now have sound. :smileyvery-happy:

If your firmware is not the latest, this could be your problem.

How about support for more 5.1 sound WD :mansad: