Reply
Occasional Advisor
sweetcandysmile
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎12-17-2011
0

Re: My WD External hard drive not recognised

@rudder i replied to your post did you get it? i said how did you get your HDD working in a non identical case isn't the HDD hardware enscripted? because my HDD unit is and has a connection problem which could be one of many problems but im guessing the HDD is still intact and want to do what you did but with a identical case or of equivalent. 

Valued Contributor
HDDRS
Posts: 271
Registered: ‎01-28-2012
0

Re: My WD External hard drive not recognized

[ Edited ]

sweetcandysmile wrote:

Isn't  the HDD hardware enscrited? How did you get it working in a no identical case?? I have a connection problem with mine, the led light, lights up but there is no usb connection nor is there any sound/ disk activity from the HDD 


if you dropped your drive and there is no sounds nor disk activity from HDD, then heads most likely jumped from parking onto the platters or didnt have enough time to reach parking if it was spinning when dropped; this is very common problem for laptop any drives, not just western digital. Heads on platters with no power kinda resembles the foot on brake pedal while car is in drive position... It wont move. If you put your ear to the drive while connected and it makes pulsing sound, like it attempts to spin - that's the problem right there. Sticky heads

 

if drive makes no sounds then power delivery to the motor is breaking somewhere. Weather its your cable, or PCB on the drive itself.

 

To trouble shoot drive that doesnt spin:

1. Put your ear to the drive and listen to it.

2. Buzzing or pulsing - stuck heads

3. No buzzing or pulsing - cable or PCB

Occasional Advisor
sweetcandysmile
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎12-17-2011
0

Re: My WD External hard drive not recognized

it's definitely number 3 because i have never dropped it, i accidently put my laptop power cable into it for like a few seconds and then it stop working basically, but im sure my data is still intact and the HDD can be transfered to an identical case but not sure how to do that because there are two circuit boards if im right one of them is the USB/Power connecter and the other is attached to the HDD its self if that makes sense?

Valued Contributor
HDDRS
Posts: 271
Registered: ‎01-28-2012
0

Re: My WD External hard drive not recognized

yes, there are 2 controllers that you will see. on is just an adapter from SATA to USB and another is attached to your drive.

 

I would pull the drive out, and connect it to any other enclosure just to see if it spins.

 

having your laptop power cord could have caused failure in 3 places.

 

1. usb controller - drive wont spin in burnt enclosure but will in any other enclosure, or if conneted to another power supply direct to sata.

2. hard drive PCB - drive wont spin at all in any enclosure or even when connected to power supply direct to SATA.

3. hard drive pre-amp - drive wont spin at all in any enclosure or even when connected to power supply direct to SATA, but will also start to click when PCB is either repaired or replaced.

 

problem is that your USB adapter is what decrypts the data on the drive, so even if the drive is healthy that USB adapter needs to be fixed.

Frequent Visitor
MGSpencer
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎04-29-2012
0

Re: My WD External hard drive not recognized

Hope someone can help. I have a 1T WD external drive on which I backed up all my files and in particular photograghs before leaving to live and work out in the Persian Gulf.

 

I had successfully accessed teh drive using my laptop on one day only to find the following day, the power unit had failed.

 

I replaced the power unit from an official source paying the premium and the HD powers up, spins and the blue light showing activity at the data plug is evident however the laptop and my pc at work dont recognise the existence of the HD.

 

I have tried alternate cables but to no effect. 

 

No known maltreatment of the HD and as it survived the transport in my camera bag on the aircraft from the UK, and worked, assume there was no effect there.

 

Any ideas what to do next?

 

Regards

 

Graeme

Occasional Visitor
Shan94
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎06-27-2012
0

Re: My WD External hard drive not recognised

Same here my passport was working a few hours ago and since I used it on another pc since then it's not even showing up on mine when I check the external device it's there but it does not show up in my computer any one can help???
Visitor
Berniebrennan
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎07-02-2012
0

Re: My WD External hard drive not recognised

Can someone help me, i am also in the same boat.

I have a WD 2tb sata hard drive that is no longer recognised in any computer i plug it in to, i have also tried numerous amount of external casings to no avail. PLEASE HELP i have all my pictures of my kids since they were born and would really like to retrieve them................. and before someone says it, i know school boy error for not backing up my back up! lol

Valued Contributor
HDDRS
Posts: 271
Registered: ‎01-28-2012
0

Re: My WD External hard drive not recognized


MGSpencer wrote:

Hope someone can help. I have a 1T WD external drive on which I backed up all my files and in particular photograghs before leaving to live and work out in the Persian Gulf.

 

I had successfully accessed teh drive using my laptop on one day only to find the following day, the power unit had failed.

 

I replaced the power unit from an official source paying the premium and the HD powers up, spins and the blue light showing activity at the data plug is evident however the laptop and my pc at work dont recognise the existence of the HD.

 

I have tried alternate cables but to no effect. 

 

No known maltreatment of the HD and as it survived the transport in my camera bag on the aircraft from the UK, and worked, assume there was no effect there.

 

Any ideas what to do next?

 

Regards

 

Graeme


you could have fried the bridge board when power supply failed.

Valued Contributor
HDDRS
Posts: 271
Registered: ‎01-28-2012
0

Re: My WD External hard drive not recognised


Shan94 wrote:
Same here my passport was working a few hours ago and since I used it on another pc since then it's not even showing up on mine when I check the external device it's there but it does not show up in my computer any one can help???

drive could be corrupt. recovery software like R-studio could help, but if data is very important consult with data recovery company first.

Valued Contributor
HDDRS
Posts: 271
Registered: ‎01-28-2012
0

Re: My WD External hard drive not recognised


Berniebrennan wrote:

Can someone help me, i am also in the same boat.

I have a WD 2tb sata hard drive that is no longer recognised in any computer i plug it in to, i have also tried numerous amount of external casings to no avail. PLEASE HELP i have all my pictures of my kids since they were born and would really like to retrieve them................. and before someone says it, i know school boy error for not backing up my back up! lol


pm sent Bernie

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD